Thread: Gentoo: "emerge --sync" broke portage 2008.x version links on server

Gentoo: "emerge --sync" broke portage 2008.x version links on server

Well I have installed Gentoo on the computer of mine. I am looking to install some util package and simply upgrade the same to the recent version. I have noticed that all the future emerge package operation which is seems to be generating an error message on the screen. I want to make the update without doing full update of Gentoo on the computer of mine? Let me know if you are having any specific solution to fix the matter of mine. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Gentoo: "emerge --sync" broke portage 2008.x version links on server

In order to get the root cause of the I need to know some more information so that I can figure out the root cause of the problem and let you know about the possible solution to fix the matter of yours. I am suggesting that you should execute the below mentioned command on the terminal and let me know the output of the same.
    Code:
    # emerge --info 
    # eselect profile list
    Also tell me about the computer configuration and the error message which you are getting on the computer? So answer the above mentioned question as early as possible.

Well I let you know that if you are looking to install the latest version of the program then you might need to use latest version of the dependencies and kernel. If you are looking to have portage which supports EAPI2 to emerge the program. portage with EAPI2 would use python 2.6. so I think it would be necessary to update the Gentoo which you have installed on the computer of yours. you will be able to install the latest version of program without using the Gentoo tools. However it would update the program on the computer of yours.

I have begin with the upgrading process of the Portage. If the ebuilds is updating the Portage tree then it would be quite modern for the current installation and simply synchronize the portage tree with the older state. You would step up until and unless there is no issue with the working of the emerge –sync. I recommend that you should update the tree at the regular interval so that you will not face the issue which you have mentioned over here.

I think you have not replaced Portage. You should have Portage 2.1.4.5. you have replaced the packages of the tree on the computer of yours. it might break the applications which you are supposed to care about. I mean it would be harmful for the system of yours if you are supposed to do the installation of the package without updating the core system of yours. so I am agree with the updating the core system of yours which is mentioned by one of the users.

Well I am suspecting that the profile is deprecated and it has removed after the long period of the deprecation. You can select the profile is selected back when it was the current and the preferred profile. Whenever you update the tree the deprecation period and the profile would gone from the system. If you have done with the update process the deprecation period the Portage would prompt that you have to switch to the non-deprecated profile.

Well I was having the same problem which you have mentioned over and I have managed to fix the problem of mine. I have executed following commands on the system of mine and it seems to be working fine for me and I am not having the issue which you have mentioned over here.
    Code:
    emerge --nodep portage 
    emerge --nodep python 
    emerge portage 
    emerge python