Thread: I need help with Chroot

I need help with Chroot

I need some help with chroot command. I have some programs to test, and for that this is the first time I am opting to run this program. I need help to understand some syntax of the same. What are other options I can try and how does this work. I still do not understand the basic of this command. This is best for understanding the stability of certain program running under servers and perform some actions.

Re: I need help with Chroot

The chroot command with root privileges to run. The general call for the same is as follows : chroot directory command. chroot is a UNIX command that allows you to run a process under a simulated root, so the process can not access files outside that directory. The same is mainly used for two things. The first is to test software or dangerous suspects in a secure environment. For example, to install unstable program in a stable machine without interfering with the primary environment and second to cage a network service like an a web server. So that limits its environment of the service and access only what you owe, preventing access scale.

You can use chroot and by running the same you must understand some stuff. First that in chroot only root can execute. The chroot directory should include the directory structure which is an typical structure of a UNIX system and all files and libraries needed to run command, including the command itself. Once when you enter the chroot the available hangs files in the directory. In contrast from the main interface are accessible all files in the chroot.

There is way to install the chroot environment that will use debootstrap. For that first you will need to create the directory for the chroot environment. For that you will need to run # Mkdir / usr / local / chroot for creating the directory. Although the main intention here is to install unstable program and it is preferable to install first stable and then upgrade to unstable. For that you will need to run # Debootstrap etch / usr / local / chroot to choose the appropriate version of Debain to run.

There are certain parameters that you will need to understand when you use the same. I had posted some sample with the commands that will help you to get results. first the # Mount proc / usr / local / chroot / proc allows you to mount proc virtual directory. # Chroot / usr / local / chroot and get a shell as root. The program is actually executed is / usr / local / chroot / bin / bash, and believes that / usr / local / chroot is the root directory /.

I can help here, how to install programs in the chroot. What is installed with debootstrap is a basic system, with a few boxes, so you usually will need to install more in the chroot. To this end, we as in the primary environment: # Apt-get install package. Before you configure the software sources by editing / etc / apt / sources.list chroot environment. You can install X in chroot environment and run them on a free terminal: # Chroot / usr / local / chroot will let you to get in the chroot.