Thread: Block downloads in HP Pavilion g4 With Windows 7

Block downloads in HP Pavilion g4 With Windows 7

I have a HP Pavilion g4 laptop at home. I have installed Windows 7 as the operating system in it. The problem is that my younger siblings try to access the internet and download useless stuffs. As it is my pc, I don’t like anyone else using my pc in my absence. And all my siblings do is download stuff from the internet and obviously they won’t even check it for viruses, and this may damage the system. Therefore, I need to set a password lock on my User account (i.e. admin). So, can anyone help me to create a password block that asks for a password when someone logs into the pc. I need to restrict my siblings from accessing my pc, so please suggest me how can I do that.

Re: Block downloads in HP Pavilion g4 With Windows 7

As you are using Windows 7, it offers you the best way to authorize your pc n restrict others from accessing the pc. This feature is called as Parental Controls. You can apply Parental controls by following these steps:

1. Go to Start, Control Panel, and then under User Accounts, click Set up Parental Controls.
    2. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide the confirmation.
    3. Click on the standard user account for which you have to set up Parental Controls (which is “admin” in your case).
    4. Now, under Parental Controls, click the On button.
    5. Once you have turned on the Parental Controls for your user account, you can select the appropriate settings you want.
    6. There are 4 specific categories in this namely: Web restrictions, Time limits, Games and Allow or block specific programs.
    7. The one which will help in your situation is Web restrictions. By this option, you can restrict the websites that children can visit and indicate whether you want to allow file downloads (which you don’t want certainly). You can also select which content, the content filters should block and allow. You can also block or allow certain websites that you don’t want your siblings should access.

I hope you will be satisfied with the access security provided by Parental Controls.

If you don’t want to use the Parental Controls feature of Windows 7, then you can use the following steps to create a password for your account:

1. Click on the Start button on the taskbar.
    2. Go to Control Panel.
    3. Click on the “User Accounts” link twice, once at a time.
    4. If you see more than one account, then click the “Manage another account”. It will display all the available accounts.
    5. Choose the account you want to create a password for, and then double click on it.
    6. Select “Create Password” option.
    7. Once you are done selecting , close the window, save the changes and exit.

Now that you have created a password for your account, it cannot be accessed by any unauthorized user (in your case they are your siblings).

If you want to try some other method other than the above two methods, you can try this one:

You can restrict your siblings from downloading stuff from the internet by setting up a Group Policy. For that you need to go to the Start, and click on Run. You have to type “gpedit.msc” in the command prompt.

Now, go to Computer Configuration, and then Administrative Templates. Open Windows Components and click on Internet Control Panel. Now, go to the Security Page, then Internet Zone. There, you would need to configure the entry “Allow file downloads”. Once you have done that set it to 0. Now, you will be able to restrict your siblings from downloading contents from the internet.