Thread: Not able to play Blu-Ray Disks after windows 7 upgrade

Not able to play Blu-Ray Disks after windows 7 upgrade

I am having Sony Vaio that is running windows Vista very well and plays Blu-ray DVD's. I recently upgraded vista to Windows 7 and now I am not able to play Blu-Ray disks. Win DVD fails with error "Stop", Arc Soft Total Media Theater also fails and Cyber Link Power DVD says that "Playback stopped because your graphics card driver is incompatible" So I reinstalled Windows 7 again and it was a clean installation not a upgrade but again got the same issue. I removed the standard Windows driver and installed the drivers from the Sony’s website for Win Vista NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT version 7.15.11.6760 but still got the same error "Playback stopped because your graphics card driver is incompatible". Then I ran dxdiag and it verifies the graphic 'chip type' as GEForce 8400M GT. So I went to NVIDIA’s web site to see if there is any latest driver available for NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT and I found this file (266.58_notebook_winvista_win7_32_international_whql.exe) so I tried installing it but it fails with error: "This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware." So now I have many question to ask, but the two main questions are: why can't I play my Blu-ray DVD on Windows 7, why can't I install the latest NVIDIA driver from this site?

Re: Not able to play Blu-Ray Disks after windows 7 upgrade

I had the same problem with my Dell XPS 15; I wasn’t able to play Blu-Ray discs. When I bought this laptop it was playing the discs without any problem. Then I formatted the hard disk to make the partitions. And reinstalled windows 7 and now it reads the disc but there is no auto play option for the disk. I installed all the codecs and tried all the players like VLC player, Gom player, Media player classic but all these players failed to play them. Then my friend helped me here and I came to know that the windows 7 disc does not include the codecs for blu-ray and I need to install blu-ray player software for that. And even VLC does not have the codecs for the Blu-Ray discs. So I also suggest you to download and install the codecs for the blu-ray disc as they are not included in the windows 7 disc.

Hi, I have read your issue and I can see that you were not having any problems to play the blu-ray discs in windows vista but a=the problem started when you upgraded from windows vista to windows 7 and also you are getting error that the driver for graphic card is incompatible. You have downloaded the drivers for the graphic card but as I can see that the drivers you downloaded are for windows vista and not for windows 7 so I would suggest you to go back to Sony’s website and download and install the drivers for windows 7. I guess maybe this will resolve your issue and then you can enjoy playing Blu-Ray discs on your laptop.

I think that you should perform a complete clean install of windows 7 on your laptop. Clean installation means that your laptop should not have any operating system when you are installing the windows 7. And then you should install all the drivers that came along with your laptop and there would a disc which has the right codec required to play the blu-ray discs on your laptop and then update the windows and after that download a good blu-ray player and maybe then you would be able to play the blu-ray discs on your laptop.

Have you tried playing any other discs on your laptop like CD/DVD and is your laptop playing it correctly. If yes then there could be some problem with your player because there are separate lasers used for reading/writing the media on the discs and I suppose that the lasers for the blu-ray discs is gone bad. If it is gone bad then you can get it changed at any local repairing shop or else you can buy a new player but that would cost you more than repairing the previous one.