Thread: Ubuntu 9.04 delays Login Time

Ubuntu 9.04 delays Login Time

Currently I am using a desktop computer which is running with Linux ubuntu 9.04 and with following specifications.
    • Processor: AMD Athlon 64 2.62 GHz
    • Memory: 1GB DDR2 667 RAM
    • Geforce 4 MX/4000 video card.

My system takes nearly 16 seconds to completely login into Ubuntu Linux. It got 1 minute plus 48 seconds simply to get past my Windows XP login panel. It got an extra minute prior to each and every one of my start-up programs were up plus running. Five programs sum, in addition an extra 10 seconds otherwise hence for Automatic Updates to inform me regarding security updates.

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 delays Login Time

In an appearance next to the Ubuntu Developer, noted that boot time reduced from 65 seconds in edition 8.10 toward merely 25 seconds within 9.04. This is previously a considerable development, except they assume that there is at rest room for further violent optimization. Canonical, will carry on thrusting the restrictions of boot presentation for the period of the forthcoming development cycle intended for Ubuntu. In accordance with Remnant, the corporation aims to attain a 10-second boot time.

A significant fraction of their quick startup approach will be receiving the Xorg display server up along with running immediately as achievable. This indicates that a huge fraction of the focal point will be breaking down the quantity of time that is required to mention the units that must be within position prior to Xorg can launch—the udev device manager as well as initramfs, a temporary filesystem that is overloaded into machine memory in order to make easy the startup progression.

Quantities of programs take too long and are not necessary straight away ahead boot. For instance, sendmail takes without end to begin and a standard desktop consumer frequently needs to observe a login screen as soon as possible, therefore sendmail can hang around. Such kind of programs may perhaps be recognized and their beginning can be postponed whilst rest of the system goes on booting up. A number of systems get additional time prior to login screen, several do following. In numerous cases it's the compiz and in several it's dbus otherwise a fraction of gnome.

The plan is to encompass a profiler start by the side of the opening of boot progression, on demand, and determine the time in use by each one program on startup, marks it toward a log file. This will assist users understand what element takes the large amount time, and will make simpler profiling the boot procedure. The startup programs that are loaded simply following the login are forever the identical: gnome-session, gnome-daemons and so on. What get time in order to load the session is to interpret them from the HDD? Hence while we are definite they might be loaded and we can be able to prefetch them.

Freshly I delighted myself to a SSD. That’s fundamentally a HDD prepared out of memory chips. I purchased the Intel X25-E Extreme, which utilizes quicker single-level cell (SLC) rather than slower multi-level cell (MLC). I then installed Ubuntu 8.10 by using disk and afterward upgraded to the beta of 9.04. Now total boot time from pushing power to Firefox loaded was on 22.5 seconds and took 5 seconds for BIOS on ThinkPad. Subtracting out, that shows that Ubuntu 9.04 booted into Firefox in concerning 17.5 seconds. I believe it is really interesting to get this much booting speed with SSD.