Thread: Help Understanding Linux Programming

Help Understanding Linux Programming

Well I have heard that Linux is good operating system for programming well I am planning that I use Linux for my system when I am taking my system with me for a gaming tournament and I hope that linux will perform well for all the games there so what do you all think guys about the linux? So which version of the Linux should I opt for mostly for making games and testing? Since you all re pretty much aware of the topic so please do reply to me about the same I will be happy to hear it from you all.

Re: Help Understanding Linux Programming

One distro is not necessarily better than any other! The Linux kernel according to me is mostly the same throughout distributions. The main differences that I think is useful for you now is
    1.) Default desktop such as Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE etc.
    2.) Package Management.
    3.) drivers that are already compiled into kernel.
    Distros that you would like to get started with are Ubuntu, Mint, or Fedora. These are some of the derivatives that are probably the easiest to get start with.

Well I agree with what above user has sad here see all the above distros that are mentioned above will dual boot with Windows 7 and let me tell you that they are all easy to install and use. If you have enough bandwidth and good internet connection then try downloading some live CDs such as of Fedora, Mandriva, SuSE, and Ubuntu and try using then in your system. If you just want a good recommendation from my side, then my vote goes for the Ubuntu. It will do everything you want it to. So hope you have got the necessary recommendation that you were looking for.

Well are you thinking of using it up with the windows? If yes then I would advise you to create a FAT32 data partition that both the operating systems can get a good access to all the data files in the systems. So that’s what I am saying here look out for the data partition that will also be helpful. However frankly I am not a big fan of data portioning because it ahs the potential to damage important system files. Anyways if it is done with utmost care then there is no issues in it.

According to me the openSUSE is good operating system in Linux I am using it for quite some time and trust me I never had any issues with it so that’s why I am advising you all to have a look at it it is not so much publicized like the ubuntu and the fedora but still I think this is the best os that I have come across. the great thing about it is the management software that it has it is really good and worth considering it, so that’s my suggestion for you as of now.

Ok thanks for all the suggestions that you have given here I appreciate your efforts for the same so thanks a lot for it, I will try and opt for the ubuntu as majority of them are asking me to do the same so I will try and do the same let’s see if that helps me or not. there are many other suggestions that you have explained to me here so thanks for considering me about that i will do the necessary changes there as well.