Thread: How to change INITTAB in Fedora

How to change INITTAB in Fedora

I recently purchased a laptop. The OS installed in my laptop is Fedora linux. But yesterday on of my class mate entered into the SSH tunnel on my linux laptop. He changed the default runlevel to 0. I don’t know what does that do. It lets it boot then goes to runlevel 0 and finally shuts down. Now I am unable to change the init level. I tried a lot but I failed to change it. Is anyone aware about such issues? If yes then please do the needful.

Re: How to change INITTAB in Fedora

It is quite interesting issue that you have posted. Many people have encountered this issue before. I am a Windows user so I don’t have much knowledge about fedora Linux. I haven’t used Fedora in my system. So I don’t know how it functions. If you had this problem in Windows then I would have definitely given you the accurate solution. But to solve the issue related to Fedora is almost impossible for me. So I won’t be able to give you the necessary suggestions you need to overcome the issue. Maybe someone else can help you out.

The issue that you have posted is not complicated. As you don’t have much knowledge about linux that is the reason you are finding such issues difficult to overcome. I don’t have much knowledge about init levels but I will try my level best to help you as much as I can. I know that there is a program for linux recovery that has Emacs. But the issue is that I don’t know how to mount file system to get access to /dev/hda1/etc/inittab. Once you get this access it will be easier to overcome the issue. I will try getting information about it and informing you as early as possible.

After I read your post I came to know about your issue. The issue that you are facing is confusing but it is possible to overcome such issue. For that I would recommend you to boot up your laptop with the Install disk. After booting select the rescue option. When you are at the command line you need to chroot in. A chroot is an operation that modifies the apparent root directory for the current running process. For information about chroot operation you can get help from the website on the internet. After you perform the chroot operation your issue will b solved

Many people have discussed such issue with me before and their issue has been solved. There are many ways to overcome such issues. To solve the issue first try booting with grub. GRUB is a Linux based MultiBoot Loader. You will be able to edit the grub command before system boots. After that just press “e” for editing the grub command. Scroll down to the kernel line and press “e” again. Finally enter “3” or whatever level you want to the end of the kernel line and press “b” for booting. When the system restart you can go to the inittab and edit as desired.

You can also LILo instead of Grub. LILO (Linux Loader) is a generic boot loader for Linux. LILO was the default boot loader for almost all Linux distribution. If you are using LILO as an alternative of Grub, you can perform the same thing. It also allows you to edit the parameters passed to the kernel when you are booting. You should set a boot password so that others cannot edit any parameters in your system. Also change your rot password, don’t allow your class mates to change SSH. A normal user doesn’t get root access unless they are the system admin. Try all the steps and take the precautions that I have mentioned.

I am very grateful to you for all the suggestions and responses that you have given me to overcome my issues. I have performed all the steps that you have mentioned and now my issue is solved. Without your suggestions it was not possible for me to overcome the issue. Previously I had discussed this issue with my colleagues but they were not having any information related to this topic. You were the first person to help me out. I have also taken the precautions that you had specified.