Thread: Read only root filesystem on Linux

Read only root filesystem on Linux

I am not so expert in the problem which I am facing. I am already in admin account and getting some issue with new software installation. I have a linux based system. I am getting errors on configuring a new tool for scanning hard drive. And there I think that fsck cannot correct the errors found in the root as it is read-only. So by default, the administrator makes a mistake by modifying or deleting any files system. I am getting a read-only root file system issue which is needed to be fixed.

Re: Read only root filesystem on Linux

For that you will need to repair a file system type ext2 or ext3 on Linux. The first thing to do is get the list of partitions used by the system. For that pass the following command : df. The / dev / sda command allows for the complete list of disk partitions. The actual syntax is fdisk -l /dev/sda. Before you can fix a file system, it is necessary to pass readonly. In some cases this is possible using the following commands, but in general it is better to boot a cd or repair on a live CD (like Knoppix) for a filesystem read-only. The command for this is : init 1.

The partition filled the whole disk except the / boot partition and swap. One important prerequisite for this procedure is that less than half of the root partition is full (so you can make a copy of the logical volume). If this is not the case, a second disk will be used. The procedure is then similar, except that it is not necessary to reduce the existing root partition and / dev/hda4 should be replaced, for example, / dev/hdb1 in our case. The easiest way to do this is to use GNU parted.

Having your root file system under LVM 1 can significantly complicate the recovery of damaged file systems. If you lose your initrd, it will be very difficult to start the system. He will then have a recovery disk containing the kernel module and utilities LVM 1 and all the tools needed to recover a damaged file system. Be sure to make regular backups and keep an alternative boot method that allows for recovery of LVM.

It is strongly recommended to make a complete backup of your system before trying to convert your LVM root 1. Having your root file system on LVM 1 can significantly complicate the procedures update (after distributions) so the decision should not be taken lightly. Specifically, you must ensure that the LVM 1 module (if not compiled into the kernel) and vgscan and vgchange utilities are available before, during and after the update.

Start in Safe Mode by choosing to enter command line. Then you have to log in using your username and password. Then pass the command sudo fsck. It will prompt for administrator password. When you type the password on the screen does not display anything, it's like suddenly keyboard fails, ignore that and just write your password and press enter. When finished reboot and see if that fixes, but it just occurs to me to reinstall the graphical environment, although in that case if you have access to the repository because it is a version that is no longer supported.

Starts in Safe Mode by choosing to enter command line. Then you have to log in using your username and password. Then pass the command sudo fsck. It will prompt for administrator password. When you type the password on the screen does not display anything, it's like suddenly keyboard fails, ignore that and just write your password and press enter. When finished reboot and see if that fixes, but it just occurs to me to reinstall the graphical environment, although in that case if you have access to the repository because it is a version that is no longer supported.