Thread: What type of partition is recommended for Ubuntu Server

What type of partition is recommended for Ubuntu Server

I am going to set up a server based on Debian in the next few days. After reading some articles, I know that the partitioning of a workstation and a server is different like / var, which must be on a separate partition for a server. I want to know what you recommended as partitioning, I have a 80GB hard drive. The aim of the server is to make everything from A to Z to learn. The server will be used especially for the SSH, VPN, FTP, SVN, perhaps a small website (apache + mysql) and perhaps for fun (or not) the email.

Re: What type of partition is recommended for Ubuntu Server

It is best if you make a partition for each mount point if you use Debian 5.0 it will offer you several choices. Like a single partition, two with / home separate and almost all separated. I will recommend you the following settings swap : twice the RAM /: 10 GB and / Tmp: 1 GB depending on mood. Along with thsi you will need nodev, nosuid, noexec / Var: 10-20GB (depending on the needs of my machine) and / Srv: the rest. If you want to keep the flexibility, you can use LVM.

At start you can see the default disk. Here you can view the list of partitions, with respective names, sizes, and other file systems. Here is an small way how does the Linux partition are listed and looks like. They are / Dev/hda1 which is first primary partition on a hard drive. The second partition is / Dev/hda2. This is the second primary partition of a hard disk. Then comes / Dev/hda5 which is counted as first secondary partition a hard disk.

The only disk partitioning process is more complicated than the entire facility. In general you can get two options. The first is the the classic partitioning and LVM (Logical Volume Manager), being much more versatile LVM. You can use an ready to use wizard to create guided partition which uses the entire disk. The wizard will create two partitions (root and swap). You can use LVM to create a boot partition and a physical volume containing two logical volumes.

Defragment NTFS partition (or FAT32, if applicable) within Windows. Open Gparted and shrink the Windows partition to the size you need with 6-10 GB are more than good, depending on how many applications or games you use on Windows. Creating the root partition (/), swap and / home. For the first 6 Gb is sufficient, the second ideally twice your RAM (if you have 1 GB or more, leave it to 1GB), and the third with the rest of the space.

For me, the ideal in a dual boot system (Windows and Linux) is to have an extra partition for documents, shared between the two OS's, and can be FAT or NTFS ( below ext3). This is because, according to the steps of Linux.com, would be leaving all our files on a partition that Windows can not read. In other words, the ideal is to leave one for Windows, one for Linux (root), one for swap, one for home (especially useful when you want to reformat and install another distro root, your user files are not lost) and one share to your documents. .