Thread: Fedora 12 and USB External HDD Partition

Fedora 12 and USB External HDD Partition

I am newbie to Linux. My technical instructor lately provided me Fedora 12 on a disk. I as well bought a 500GB WD external usb external HDD. My laptop is running with Windows vista. What i wish for to carry out is partition my external HDD to boot Fedora (consequently I can learn and study it), except, here’s the deception: I would like to boot on my HDD with Linux like an OS and I wish for to depart a partition through a windows file system lying on it too thus i can save my things from school resting on it and control the data from the laptop.

Re: Fedora 12 and USB External HDD Partition

I would suggest UNetbootin. It's a speedy method of installing an operating system. Please ensure your information is backed up previous to you start. On the other hand, if you have a quick as much as necessary PC (2+ GB RAM), I would recommend VirtualBox. It's an actually immense method to start off through Linux, for the reason that the OS is installed on top of a virtual HD. If you contain a thumb drive, you are able to install Fedora to it. Otherwise I extremely recommend VirtualBox.

If you are utilizing Windows 2000/XP you are able to right click on top of My computer and click 'manage' afterward click 'Disk Management' and you must be capable to generate the partitions on your external HDD. For the Linux room, you can partition it except just don't set-up it. Furthermore for your partition anybody has right to use, it must be FAT32 thus you can utilize it within Windows as well as Linux. On the other hand in Vista Microsoft determined to arbitrarily edge the capability of building FAT32 partitions bigger than 32 otherwise 37g. Therefore if you wish for it bigger, you'll need to format it like FAT32 below Linux.

You will run into issues demanding to install Linux on top of an HDD external HDD. The Linux kernel requests to support allowing the drivers intended for the external drive next to boot instance. Not each and every one linux kernels contain that support at boot occasion. You can dual boot by means of every O/S on top of a separate HDD. That is the favored method. Remember that you will wish for to place Vista on the main drive and Linux on top of another drive.

To make use of whichever new external HDD on Linux Fedora system, the HDD require having a filesystem. With the intention of place the filesystem on latest HDD, you want to make partition on top of hard disk and afterward format the drive through the Linux filesystem ext3 otherwise Windows filesystem type (vfat). Following the partitioning as well as formatting, next disk is prepared to be utilized. For this I think that you need to learn or know some command to format the HDD and partition it.