Thread: Creating M3U playlist in linux

Creating M3U playlist in linux

I purchased a laptop last month. I am having the OS linux in my laptop. I normally use the laptop for internet surfing, gaming, downloading movies and especially. I am quite satisfied with the OS that is installed in my laptop. I want to create the M3U playlist in my linux OS but I don’t know how to do that. I also discussed this issue with my colleagues but I was not able to do that. Does anyone know how to create playlist in linux? If yes then please let tell me about it.

Re: Creating M3U playlist in linux

It is quite interesting issue that you have posted. I didn’t try to create a M3U playlist in linux. I am a Windows user so I don’t have much knowledge about Linux. I haven’t used linux in my system. So I don’t know how it functions. If you wanted to create M3U playlist in Windows XP then I would have definitely given you the accurate solution. But to solve the issue related to linux is almost impossible for me. So I won’t be able to give you the necessary suggestions you need to solve the issue. Maybe someone else can help you out.

To create M3U playlist in linux is not a complicated task. As you don’t have knowledge about linux this is the reason you are finding such issue complicated. To create a playlist in linux you need to perform the following steps:
    1. First connect your media device to your computer and mount it. Then browser to the root directory of the device. The playlist may placed somewhere else in your device.
    2. Create a new text file with M3U extension. The name of the file will be the name of the playlist. Now assume that your device supports M3U files.

3. Now open the M3U file in your favorite text editor. There are several rules to be followed for M3U files they are as follows:
    • Every song has to be an a new line
    • To comment a line use # character
    • First line of the file should be #EXTM3U

4. For each song you will need 2 lines of code
    5. Save the file and the M3U playlist is created

Thanks a lot for all the suggestion that you have given me to overcome my issue. I performed all the steps that you specified which are essential to create a M3U playlist. With the help of those steps the M3U playlist was created successfully in my linux OS. But the procedure that you have specified is quite lengthy. I faced difficult initially to perform all these but later on there was no such issue. Are you aware about some easier way to create M3U playlist in linux? If yes then please inform me about that.

I know that the steps I specified you previously are lengthy but it works out. I also know another way to create a playlist in linux. I will definitely tell you about it. You can easily create a simple playlist without any extended information using the following command:
    find /path/to/music/ -name "*.mp3" -print > /path/to/playlist.m3u
    After you execute this command it will generate a file with path to the music itself. This method is very fast and very easy to execute. Try this method and inform me about the consequences.

I am very grateful to you for all the responses that you have given me. The second method that you suggested me is much easier and better than the previous one. The first method that you gave was a time consuming process. But with the second method that you suggested creating a M3U playlist hardly consumes any time. I also shared this issue with my colleagues who were not aware about it. You suggestion helped me a lot without that it was not possible for me to create a M3U playlist in linux.