Thread: Ubuntu locked up in Acer eMachine

Ubuntu locked up in Acer eMachine

My favorite desktop computer is Acer eMachine. I have been using this computer from the past several months. Before, this system was running with windows operating system. Right now I have switched to Linux Distribution and that is ubuntu. For a number of Reasons, on every occasion I utilize Ubuntu on top of My E-Machines Desktop, Ubuntu has locks by itself, by way of strange prototypes of Graphics, no matter what I’m do. While browsing, playing games and writing docs it just locks up and I will lose all my process. What could be the issue?

Re: Ubuntu locked up in Acer eMachine

I don’t know much about Linux or ubuntu but I still try to give some fixes and advice which might gonna help you to resolve the problem anyway. By looking at the surrounding it seems like there is a video card or RAM related problem. It might have been malfunction and due to that reason the system frequently locks up. Are you sure that after installing the ubuntu, you have installed all the drivers which were compatible? Some incompatible drivers might not have been installed yet. Mainly the graphics drivers. You should check once again.

I hope that you have completely formatted the Windows operating system from the HDD and installed the ubuntu on it. Then I hope that there is no dual boot. First you need to verify whether it is really the operating system issue or the hardware or driver related issues. AS you already said that the system was working fine with Windows OS. To verify this take any live CD with any Linux Distro other than ubuntu and put it in your DVD drive. Now boot from that CD and work in it for a while. If it is the hardware or driver issue you will know at this moment.

It seems to me like GPU lockups within Intel's video driver for the duration of the tattered development sequence. Countless of these problems are nowadays either fixed or at any rate well implicit. There are furthermore superior tools designed for confining and diagnosing these issues, except these utilities are moreover engaged otherwise unfinished during elder versions of ubuntu, therefore debugging this problem on pre-natty editions is doubtful to be dynamic.

I have also gone through this problem when have upgraded my ubuntu to a new version. However lately I managed to find the fix for this lock up issue. What I did is I just turned off the fancy graphics. To do this:
    • First of all Right Click on desktop
    • Choose the option called Change Desktop Background> Visual Effects
    • There you need to pick None.

Note : If the Ctrl-Al-Backspace feature or option to restart X is disabled then must re-enable it. To do this:
    • choose “System”>”Preferences”>”Keyboard”
    • choose the “Layouts” tab and click on top of the “Layout Options” key.
    • Choose “Key sequence to kill the X server” and allow “Control + Alt + Backspace”.