Thread: Mac OS X prompts for password while moving files

Mac OS X prompts for password while moving files

I am using Mac operating system version 10.5 and I got some problem while moving files. I am having two user accounts the one I use and the one is an admin account which is as it is. I found this problem when I was transferring files from my default user account folder to my desktop, it asks for a password such that files would get moved if password is entered. I am not able to move my files anywhere and not even in trash so what actions should be taken so that I could recover my normal working computer back.

Re: Mac OS X prompts for password while moving files

I have gone through your problem and I found that you are being asked for a password when you try to move some files from one place to another. If you are trying to move files from the admin user account to your account then it would definitely ask you for the password as it have protected all the documents inside admin folder. So if you have the needed password you can easily move your files wherever you want. So I guess it is not a major problem that you are facing.

This usually happens when permission have been set to the folder or a file. You would be definitely allowed to move the files to any destination wherever you want. For this you need to either enter a password for it. But entering password again and again is not a better option. I found one better option where you need to repair the permissions which are set may be because of some problem. Just go to repair permission option of your disc and then this would remove your problem of prompting passwords.

There might be some sort of permissions which is set to your folders. So in order to move certain files you need to remove these permissions. You will have to look for certain settings on the folder in order to remove the permissions of your folder. Just select the file which you need to move and then select Get info from the file menu and verify whether it is locked. If you found it locked then you have to uncheck the locked option and then try to move the file again.

There might be a case where the permissions are set to your folder itself. So just check whether your folder is locked. If you found it locked then you need to perform certain steps to unlock it. So just open terminal and you need to type this command “sudo chflags –R nouchg” as you type the command just drag the folder you want to unlock and enter key password for it and it would be unlocked. This would remove the permission from that folder.