Thread: Default search engine URL is disabled in Google chrome

Default search engine URL is disabled in Google chrome

I am using Google chrome web browser and I was having no problem with it. When I launched my browser today and when I was typing the query and hit the enter button then the search results weren’t coming from Google. I tried again but the search results were being performed through another search engine. So I viewed by default search engine link in settings and I there I was no able to change URL of default search engine as that option was disabled.

Re: Default search engine URL is disabled in Google chrome

In order to search from a particular search engine always you need to set a default URL for a particular search engine, so for that you have to click on the wrench icon of browser and then select options, then you have to select basic tab from there and then click on the manage in the default search engine option. Here you need to enter the URL of the search engine you want, suppose you may set Google as your default search engine and then click on Ok and then it would get set as default.

If you want to make some search engine as your default search engine, then you are provided with this option in Google chrome. It normally has a function to manage all your search engine settings. You can add, remove or even edit the existing search engine settings. You need to go to following path, it doesn’t matter which operating system you use because we are going to do a browser settings. Go to settings->options->Basic-Manage search engine. Now in order to make a default search engine just click on the default button for a particular URL and It would get selected as a default as you need.

There might a case where your browser supported files might have gone deleted and that’s why you are not able to edit or change some of the features. So I guess update your chrome browser to a newer version. If you do this then it would be much better as you would even get more features from that or else you can even give a try to uninstall the current browser from OS and then again install the same and then check whether the same problem exists.

I have searched for your problem in various forums and I found that if you do follow these steps then you might be able to set your default search engine. First right click on the address bar and then select edit search engines and select Add. There you have to mention the URL of the search engine that you want it to have as a default, note that under query of that engine you need to add %s and then click ok. After that just make it default and it would be set as a default search engine for your browser.