Thread: Interject GNU plus Linux

Interject GNU plus Linux

What you are referred to as Linux is actually GNU / Linux, or as I have newly taken to calling it, GNU and Linux. Linux is an operating system unto itself, but somewhat a dissimilar component of a whole free operating system, GNU corelibs became useful for the GNU shell utilities and essential components of the system that includes a complete operating system, unlike for POSIX. Many computer users run a customized version of GNU system all day, without understanding. Through a strange turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux" and many users are unaware that it is mainly the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. Not really a Linux system and these people are utilizing it, but is only fraction of the system they utilize. What you thought about this?

Re: Interject GNU plus Linux

Linux is the kernel: The application in the system which assigns the machine’s reserves to the other programs which you run. The kernel is a vital fraction of an operating system, but ineffective by itself; it can just function in the background of a whole operating system. Linux is generally utilized in mixture with the GNU operating system: the entire system is mostly GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are truly distributions of GNU/Linux.

I am not certain what you mean by 'GNU based Linux'. But yes, while people say 'distro' that simply means they are talking about a dissimilar version of what is basically the GNU/Linux operating system. A few of these enclose software which is not-free and in the strength of the GNU project but they are at a standstill distributions of GNU/Linux. While I talk about free software, I am discussing about software which gives its users the below liberties:
    1. The liberty to sprint the program, for any cause.
    2. The liberty to revise how the program works, and alter it to make it do what you wish. Access to the source code is a condition for this.
    3. The liberty to reallocate copies so you can assist your neighbor.

I think what it meant in terms of Linux based on Fedora GNU is to be considered a distribution of Linux, right, a version of Linux? If so, is known or indirect that the system fully functional as you mentioned in your first post is GNU, and therefore all Linux distributions are based on GNU (fully functional systems, there can be misspelled), and GNU is not mentioned in the Fedora Web site? I just created a VMWare player about 6 weeks, and Ubuntu is one of my virtual machines, so this will help me get a better understanding of the fundamental aspects of GNU / Linux as I can get more information about the application.

The website says that Fedora is "based on Linux”. Actually I should say based on GNU / Linux, since it is based on an operating system that uses the Linux kernel and many GNU components. When the GNU project was trying to build a completely free operating system they were fighting with the kernel. Fortunately, Linus Torvalds stepped in and made the Linux kernel free to use. In this case, GNU and Linux go together. It is worth remembering that you can have an operating system that uses the Linux kernel, but no GNU components, such as Android. In this case, I should say "Android contains Linux." Android haves just as greatly of Linux as GNU / Linux do.

In fact, that would type of be the complete point. Does it matter if it’s incorrect? In this world, no. It's just similar to IM short forms. All sorts of short forms, which don't make any sense. So what? As well, I don't think GNU/Linux would be a very striking name for an OS. The world these days is all about publicity and media. I hesitation Mac OS Snow Leopard makes any sense. But it sounds well. Linux previously has such a small user base, but it is fine developed and I don't think they would grant it such a useless name.