Thread: How to install Mac OS 9 on OS leopard

How to install Mac OS 9 on OS leopard

I have just brought a new imac which has os X leopard pre – installed in it .But due to some reasons, I also want OS 9 on my imac, like a dual boot. I know that OS X Leopard is the OS 9 killer, but it does not support or has any drivers for my printer and scanner,I am using, They work perfectly fine but there are no drivers available for it because the company has stopped it ‘s production , so there would never be any drivers available for it in the newer version ‘s of Mac os . the only latest version that supports it is OS 9.

Re: How to install Mac OS 9 on OS leopard

Try partitioning the hard drive and then uploading OS 9, if that does not work then I guess it would have to be something that overrides the firmware, if that's possible. This is a bit complex, but the short answer is, no. The Intel based iMacs can't natively run OS9 because it was written for the IBM processors. It was working in 10.4(tiger) because Tiger had emulation software to run it. Apple took the emulation software out of it for Leopard. There are commercial applications to allow you to run classic in leopard, but you cannot boot to it, and the drivers will not load anyway. Try installing any versions of Linux because it has an inbuilt support for many drivers. And above all the mac os architecture is falling more towards Linux family, or any windows os .

Sure they have the same architecture (which is now no longer x86) but by no means does that make a mac computer a "dressed-up Windows computer" The OS is completely different, on a simple level you can call Windows DOS based and OS X unix based although it runs much deeper than that. Obviously there are deeply rooted differences but the fact is when you run your Windows 7, it's quite different than your Snow Leopard. I mean OS X programs and Windows programs are written very differently... . I made it work with OSX via SANE. You can try making it work with OSX via SANE . you’ll need to read it and do an R and D to discover what device your scanner maps to ( like Nic card )

You can borrow the kernel and classic related software from earlier version’s . Or you can also make use if sheepshaver which will run most classic software and also make sure to use the latest builts from emaculation . or use can either use basilisk 2 which will install up to Mac Os 8.1 ans with sheep shaver you can install up to 9.04 , because the kernel is the limiting factor in classic compatibility in leopard 10.5 .