Thread: How to add more space on C drive

How to add more space on C drive

I am using Windows Vista and I have problem of getting my default drive i.e. c: drive entirely used. Whenever I install any programs such as games or any software’s it gives a message i.e. the disk drive is full and I don’t know how to empty my hard drive. I am not able to solve the problem. Should I format the entire drive or is there any way to solve the above problem. Please help because hardly any space is left?

Re: How to add more space on C drive

There are various kinds of software’s used to clean up your drives such as CCleaner. This software is basically used to clean up all your temp folders, internet files, index.dat, cookies, recent file lists, Windows Installer programs, cache folders. It also scans and remove orphaned Registry entries which includes file extensions, uninstallers, help files, shared DLL’s, fonts, ActiveX controls icons and invalid shortcuts.

You can also use prefetch command which helps to delete unused files which stays for a longer time in your computer. This basically stores the some files of the software that you have installed and uninstalled. Firstly, open Start menu, go to Run, type prefetch and you can see many unused files present in your system. Delete those files which will help you save some MB’s of space in your drive and also helps your Windows to load much faster.

It is not necessary to install all the applications in default drive. You can install applications, programs such as software’s, games in other drive rather than the default C: drive. Most of the software’s gives you an option to select the target install folder during the setup process. You could just replace c: with d: so the programs are installed in d:\Program Files folder. This will help you to install many applications even though your c: drive is full.

Some users have a tendency to save their files to their desktop for easy access. This is one of the bad practices for mainly two reasons-one, it would increase the shut down time of Windows since everything has to be copied to your profile folder when you are on the network and second, the desktop folder is again the C: drive. Also there is a possibility of getting your data lost when saved on the desktop.