Thread: Error message while extracting kernel source

Error message while extracting kernel source

I am getting an issue while extracting the kernel source. I have tried to installed kernel source RPM and make an attempt to build tree into the unprivileged user directory. I am getting an error message on the screen while doing the above mentioned. I am not having any idea regarding the troubleshooting steps to fix the problem. Any instruction on this particular matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Error message while extracting kernel source

Looking at the situation which you have mentioned over here I am suspecting that you have not installed the Source package. Well I want to know whether rpmbuild/SOURCES/ and pmbuild/SPECS/ directories are populated properly or not. Also you should use the following command on the terminal and let me know about the results after executing the same.
    Code:
    cd /home/xxx/rpmbuild
    ls -lR | more

I was having the same problem which you have mentioned over here in this particular thread. I have done lots of research work and finally I have managed to fix the problem of mine. well I have installed kernel-.src.rpm by using the following command on the computer of mine. Hence I recommend that you should copy and paste the below mentioned command on the terminal while installing kernel-.src.rpm on the system of yours.
    Code:
    rpm -Uvh kernel-.src.rpm

I am suggesting some useful instruction to meet the requirement of yours. You should create kernel source tree on the computer of yours. to get the same you should use the below mentioned command.
    Code:
    cd ~/rpmbuild/SPECS
    rpmbuild -bp --target=$(uname -m) kernel.spec
    now you should copy the source and simply generate a patch by using the below mentioned command.
    Code:
    cp -r ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.$ver$fedver/linux-2.6.$ver.$arch ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.$ver$fedver.orig
    cp -al ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.$ver$fedver.orig ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.$ver$fedver.new

If you are looking to install a new kernel on the running system of yours then you should use the rpm –ivh. you can also use the below mentioned command on the terminal.
    Code:
    su -c "rpm -ivh --force $HOME/rpmbuild/RPMS/<arch>/kernel-<version>.<arch>.rpm"
    In case you have changed the name of the kernel and the firmware and kernel headers are not matching then you should use the below mentioned command.
    Code:
    su -c "rpm -ivh $HOME/rpmbuild/RPMS/<arch>/kernel-<version>.<arch>.rpm \
           $HOME/rpmbuild/RPMS/<arch>/kernel-firmware-<version>.<arch>.rpm \
           $HOME/rpmbuild/RPMS/<arch>/kernel-headers-<version>.<arch>.rpm \
           $HOME/rpmbuild/RPMS/<arch>/kernel-devel-<version>.<arch>.rpm"
    This command would install the kernel in /boot.

I am suggesting the following instruction which would be helpful to get the source.
    • You should prepare RPM package building environment on the Home Directory and use the following command.
    Code:
    rpmdev-setuptree
    • you should download the kernel-<version>.src.rpm file and simply enable the appropriate source repositories by using –enablerepo.
    Code:
    yumdownloader --source kernel
    • Now you should install all the dependiences which is needed for the kernel source.
    Code:
    su -c 'yum-builddep kernel-<version>.src.rpm'
    • you have to install the kernel-<version>.src.rpm by using the following pieces of the command.
    Code:
    rpm -Uvh kernel-<version>.src.rpm