Thread: Error in running the VirtualBox: kernel source mismatch in CentOS

Error in running the VirtualBox: kernel source mismatch in CentOS

Hello everyone, I am here with one error in my kernel. I am using CentOS in my server and suddenly it is giving me error with Kernel. I have already installed kernel headers version 2.6.18-194. When I am trying to run virtual box it is giving me error like “kernel drivers not installed: (rc =-1908)”. It is asking me installed kernel again, I have done twice or thrice but it is not solving my problem. so can anyone help me with this matter? thanks a lot in advance, I am waiting for your reply .

re: Error in running the VirtualBox: kernel source mismatch in CentOS

Hello, I have seen your problem, I have one solution for you. What you need to do is just reinstall the kernel module by running /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup” as root. When you start installation keep in mind that setting should be as follows:

Code:
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules [ OK ]
    Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules [ OK ]
    /lib/modules/2.6.18-164.el5/build or /lib/modules/2.6.18-164.el5/source.
    [OK]
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules [OK]
    while installing if you get above logs then your problem is solved. All the Best.

Hello, I have tried the above mentioned method, it is working properly and I am completely agreed with it. if the above method doesn’t works for you then you need to explicitly install the correct version of kernel headers/kernel-devel. Then too my idea doesn’t worked for you then you must upgrade your kernel with the latest version. When you install kernel your kernel must be updated from below mentioned version:
    Yum install kernel-devel-2.6.18-164.els
    Just try my idea and do me reply if you find that it is problem solving. All the Best

Hello friends, I am completely agreed with above steps, and I have some steps for those user who are new with this operating system. if you want to update your kernel you can type code like yum update kernel on run, if your internet is active then it will automatically update your kernel. Once your updating is being done then reboot your computer, it will surely solve your problem. so guys all the best and if you solve your problem then do reply to my post.

Re: Error in running the VirtualBox: kernel source mismatch in CentOS

I knew it that I will solve my problem on this forum only. Guys thank you all, after reading your posts I have solve my problem, I was thinking that problem is quite big but the solution of this error was very small and quite easy. Firstly I have applied the method which is mentioned in the first post, but there was some issue related to path was occurring so I dropped plan and after that I decided to update and I was right. It worked for me. Friends thank a lot again.