Thread: Unable to Install catdoc in a CentOS 5.2

Unable to Install catdoc in a CentOS 5.2

I have to install 'catdoc' package on a CentOS 5.2 server. The problem is that this server does not have yum installed and I am a complete beginner on Red Hat derived distributions. As this is a production server, I am very afraid of doing something wrong and damage the system. I found some instructions to install yum, so I suppose that after installing yum is a matter of running: yum install catdoc right? Or is it safe to download only catdoc related rpms and install it manually? What do you recommend?

Re: Unable to Install catdoc in a CentOS 5.2

I use a lot of VPS and often have not really yum to make my life easier. So here is a quick HOWTO to install yum on a CentOS box. This presumes that you have rpm and wget is previously setup. Note: This just works on CentOS 5.2, when the mirror is at a standstill active. Run the below code into a temporary directory to download all the RPM packages.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

for file in \
            elfutils-0.125-3.el5.i386.rpm \
            elfutils-libs-0.125-3.el5.i386.rpm \
            expat-1.95.8-8.2.1.i386.rpm \
            gmp-4.1.4-10.el5.i386.rpm \
            libxml2-2.6.26-2.1.2.1.i386.rpm \
            libxml2-python-2.6.26-2.1.2.1.i386.rpm \
            m2crypto-0.16-6.el5.2.i386.rpm \
            python-2.4.3-21.el5.i386.rpm \
            python-elementtree-1.2.6-5.i386.rpm \
            python-iniparse-0.2.3-4.el5.noarch.rpm \
            python-sqlite-1.1.7-1.2.1.i386.rpm \
            python-urlgrabber-3.1.0-2.noarch.rpm \
            readline-5.1-1.1.i386.rpm \
            rpm-4.4.2-48.el5.i386.rpm \
            rpm-libs-4.4.2-48.el5.i386.rpm \
            rpm-python-4.4.2-48.el5.i386.rpm \
            sqlite-3.3.6-2.i386.rpm \
            yum-3.2.8-9.el5.centos.1.noarch.rpm \
            yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-2.el5.i386.rpm
      do wget 
    done
    One time you have downloaded the essential files. Install them all by typing:
    Code:
    # rpm -Uvh *.rpm
    After that feel free to # yum -y update to bring your system new.

Here I must add something in your case as I have bit idea or I can say bit knowledge on this. As supposed, the system is not CentOS, but one is the one with the main parts of it detached. If there CentOS after that you would utilize yum to setup all the software and catdoc is in the rpmforge store which can be appended to yum. There was a wiki page I was looking for called " When Centos is not Centos”, but I could not discover the accurate.

Many Linux sharing’s utilizing a version of yum. All releases are transported with CentOS yum and a definite set of identical configuration files. In part, this allows your system to work with CentOS mirror around the world and the system updates. Some intermediate holders yum break these settings, and make your system is incompatible. For the reasons discussed later in this article, CentOS support regular refuse to make a bad situation (a yum does not work), worse.

If yum is not setup and running, it is not CentOS. If you have a facility for 'based on' or 'derived from' CentOS, but yum is not there, you have a genuine setup of CentOS. It is not actually probable for non-developers to install without installing CentOS yum. Lot of VPS (Virtual Server) suppliers and a few Forks downstream from CentOS and management tools seem to setup just parts of CentOS in their virtual servers. A few after that as well eliminate yum installation, or change the configuration settings yum. Some "driving" the box outside the package management system. See also the Other Voices page for a list of the prongs of the fork again, resulting in whole or in part of CentOS.

Yes, a real CentOS has a kernel of CentOS, CentOS centos-release package, CentOS yum package and any alterations or accumulations to the contents of / etc / yum.repos.d / directory. All dependencies are satisfied and, with the exception of the configuration files (see: man rpm), a
    Code:
    $ Sudo rpm-Va
    Command will be executed silently than expected changes in the configuration file. (See: man rpm for help in reading the list, where a decoder for details on the left column.) Real CentOS system can also be freely updated at any time. We take note of this requirement because the safety issue also fixed asynchronously.