Thread: How to run Gnome on CentOS

How to run Gnome on CentOS

I am quiet new to linux and I got a Linux Centos 5.2 with Nagios installed on it but without a GUI. So I installed X11 for an X terminal and it works by typing startx. I also installed gnome with yum groupinstall gnome-desktop and everything was installed correctly. I have 117 packages installed updates and 8. But now, what should I do to start Gnome because this morning I look and I do not think so. I want to configure all back again and need help for the same. Thanks.

Re: How to run Gnome on CentOS

The main idea is that for some reason Linux CentOS installed with the text-only environment, there is no graphical environment. Although this is just an additional safety, not having that amount of graphics applications, but there is a way to add the same. GNOME is a fairly large set of applications. If you install the same it comes with an 212 packages or more to achieve your goal. And in that place if you just need an small graphical environment then I will recommend you to go for XFCE.

That is correct to some extent. You can go with XFCE where you get a small amount of graphical support. For running the Gnome environment first update the system and, if necessary, configure the keyboard in Spanish, since it is more intuitive when pressing the key /. The command is yum update and yum install kbd. After that you will need to install the X server. The command for the same is yum install X Window System. And in last the Gnome desktop. The command for the same is yum install GNOME Desktop Environment.

If you have downloaded and installed, you have Gnome. I do not understand is why do you want a graphical environment on a server. Is somehow possible to choose the startup type if in gnome or console. Sometime in some case I had installed but the command gnome-session does not work. What do for that. Is there a way to fix the same. I tried running some online service but in some case the error appeared. There is very less discussion for the same.

I also tried installing the Gnome Desktop Environment on a remote server with CentOS 5. But that gave out a error of Missing Dependency: libgaim.so.0 is needed by package nautilus-sendto. After searching a number of sites I found a solutoin for the same. Download the rpm package that sucks for dependencies and install with - nodeps and then whether to proceed with: yum groupinstall GNOME Desktop Environment. The dependence is a bug reported and not fixed, because if you fix the dependency is a library of gaim.

I had installed the GNOME Desktop Environment and then startx and did not have access to my graphical environment. I got an error that the X server is not in the specified path, it turns out that the group had no corresponding installed X server, you installed with groupinstall yum X Window System, then startx and got ready my graphical environment returned. With respect to / etc/X11/xorg.conf and the line q me say, in my file that I have no line, I did not do anything about that step q but just mention my GNOME is working, I work with CentOS 5.