Thread: CentOS 5.4: Getting error message ‘Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS:’

CentOS 5.4: Getting error message ‘Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS:’

I have successfully installed CentOS 5.4 on the Supermicros server with having H8SMi-2 motherboard on the system. I am getting following error message after booting the server finishing with the installation. ‘Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unkown-block(0,0).’ I have done some quick googling and have found that there is nothing available relevant to the problem of mine. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: CentOS 5.4: Getting error message ‘Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS:’

Looking at the problem which you have provided over here I am going to as some basic question which you can answer so that I can let you know about the further steps to troubleshoot the issue. Can you tell me about the entire hardware as well as software configuration of the computer? Do you have done any recent changes on the computer? So answer the above mentioned questions as early as possible.

I was having the same problem which you have mentioned over here in this particular thread. After doing lots of research work I have found that this particular issue is being happening due to RAID array on the computer. Well you need to remove the RAID signatures from the system of yours and make sure that you have installed 5.5 or later version of the CentOS on the computer of yours. So try the same and see whether it is working or not.

I am suggesting that you should use the Grub menu and see whether it is working or not. Well you should stop the GRUB menu and enter the Option C and then
    Code:
    grub> root (hd1,0)
    grub> setup (hd1)
    grub> root (hd0,0)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    Now you should press the Esc in order to return to the GRUB menu and simply boot the computer normally and update the computer.So try the same and see whether it is working or not.

I am providing some specific solution which you can use to solve the problem.
    • You need to login into the computer as root and enter the ‘sbin/grub’ command and press enter.
    • Now you should enter the following command on the GRUB shell and press enter.

Code:
    grub> device (hd0) /dev/sda
    grub> device (hd1) /dev/sdb
    grub> root (hd0,0)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> root (hd1,0)
    grub> setup (hd1)
    grub> quit
    • Now reboot the computer and update your system.
    • Once again the reboot the computer after updating the kernel.

You can get the performance while twice swapping the equivalent partition sizes at the cost of the redundancy and it would be used as two non RAID swap partition. This can be performed like striped RAID0 but can survive the failure of the single drive. Another option is you can use the single additional RAID1 and then simply create LVM volume on the /dev/md1. You can leave /home as option on the any other file system which you are using.