Thread: How to migrate to linux from windows Xp

How to migrate to linux from windows Xp

I'm considering a Windows XP user migrating to Linux. I took the selector zegeniestudios.net distribution and got Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Mandriva and OpenSUSE (yes, I'm dumb as a brick in regard to computers), but still do not know what to choose. How do they change from each other? For my part, I prefer something in exacting that you can run wine, just in case it is not companionable with some of the above. Security is very, very important to me, having been traumatized by viruses and other malicious programs in recent years. And I chiefly use my computer (laptop Eee PC) to view video files and writing, whether it will be important.

Re: How to migrate to linux from windows Xp

I read somewhere that Windows and Linux are not supported, and you have to store the files somewhere and reinstall them after installing the operating system. But many of my files are Word documents and Excel - how will I be able to open those in Linux? Or is wine going to take care of that? All additional security programs to download? Any other suggestions?

In reality the differences are small only program management and graphic art are probably the major differences. There are also political differences in the ancient novel behind openSUSE has relationships with MS not all like this. All that you can run the wine, but it is extremely high safety standards on Linux using Wine are seen as reducing safety. The main security programs on Linux iptables and selinux. First advanced firewall only other advanced material developed by the CIA! It must be ensured as well. Hell yeah bet they complain even about to start on wine as a security issue. Little bit manic.

I read somewhere that Windows and Linux are not supported, and you have to store the files somewhere and reinstall them after installing the operating system. Windows cannot open the partition from Linux, but Linux is open all right. Windows does not support Linux, but Linux is compatible with Windows in other words. Any other suggestions? Just download the *. iso burn to a CD and restart the PC. Linux works even without installing only from the CD / DVD / USBKey! Try Linux is simple and the best way to learn about it.

My Vista laptop crashed about a year ago. I had nothing but a blank screen and a cursor. I loaded a live CD of Linux Mint 8, and boot from the disc. I was running from the CD in minutes. Everything in my laptop worked, realized my printer automatically and I was surfing the Internet without any configuration. All this without even installing. I was a newbie in Linux, and is still struggling with the installation of anything that is not in the package / software manager. Long story. I love Linux Mint, and I will never pay for a new operating system. By far the fastest, most stable I've used. Whatever you choose, tries a Live CD first. Ensure that all things work. Run from the live CD and make sure everything you do on your computer works.

I installed Linux on a separate partition and configure my PC to dual boot but there is still software that runs on Linux platforms. With all the creative and marketing tools that I use would be severely disabled with a Linux operating system. I actually hate living under the reign of fear of Windows and lick the boots of Bill Gates, but for now I am forced to accept the horror.

There is tons of software that can do what MS applications. They are usually a different name due to copyright bureaucracy. Search the web for some it is similar. Some programs are as good or better and some not so good. For example, I use Thunderbird as your mail client, as well as Outlook or KMail. Open source developers have a strange way of naming their applications, so do not be afraid to run a media player called Kafeine or Rosegarden or Amarok or DVD Ripper called K9Copy. What Linux does not have is the support of suppliers. MS does not write most of the applications, providers are written. Some is compatible with Linux and work just like MS counterparts. A good example is the Mozilla Foundation software. I hope this helps.