Thread: Something wonky with DHCP on Server 2003 after a power failure

Exclamation Something wonky with DHCP on Server 2003 after a power failure

I am working on a Server 2003 SBS. Everything was working just fine before a power outage. All computers are on power conditioners and surge protectors. After the power outage the computers can log in (with Active directory), can access server files via windows explorer, but that's it. The server is a routing device (It's how our IT person set it up before going rogue and leaving a few years ago). The problem is now: The computers cannot access each other using computer names but can see each other. The computers cannot access the server's Exchange server. The computers can no longer access the internet. When I go to the services, the DHCP server is 'Stopped'. When I try to start it, it says: "The DHCP server service on Local Computer started then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alert Service."
    I'm out of options and have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Something wonky with DHCP on Server 2003 after a power failure

Well I guess there must be a change on the external NIC of the server that you have and to get rid of this you need to solve the same. There may be an issue whether the TCP/IP must have got corrupted. And to fix this I want you to do Internet >> Router >> Switch >> Server and Clients and one question from my side does your server still communicate on the LAN with the client computers correctly?

hi,

do you use the dhcp for your client computers to get the ip automatically from it or you have assigned static ip for all other computers.

Incase if computers are using static ip's & they are unable to ping the hostnames (www.google.com to x.x.x.x.)check the dns server/ service on the sbs server. If the clients running static ip's are using sbs server as a gateway & unable to access internet, check the remote routing console & if it is up.

Likely because of the outage, some data might be corrupt which may involve some portion of windows folder also. During starting up the server were you prompted for disk check. if yes then restart again & allow the server to perform checkdisk & it may try to restore the corrupt data which might be your dhcp server configuration. Else you can simply reinstall dhcp server (control panel/addremove/components/networking/dhcp) & reconfigure it with your ip scope & gatewway details.

Thank you all.... It turned out that it actually had NOTHING to do with the server... The wireless hub that we were using must have returned to factory defaults after the power failure and was acting as a DHCP host. Since the wireless hub isn't even used anymore it was simple ot fix. Removed it from the network, restarted all computers and all is working fine now. Thanks for the ideas!