Thread: Device manager shows “disk drive” instead of WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (SATA)

Device manager shows “disk drive” instead of WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (SATA)

I am having the WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (SATA) hard drive and when I open the Device Manager then it was showing me the same. Recently I asked Windows for updating the driver and I installed just one out of the list. After installation, I found that it is displaying "disk drive" within Device Manager instead of WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (SATA) as it was showing earlier. Other than this, I have also observed that the performance of the system is reduced. Please tell me that why this is happening to me and how can I resolve the issue.

Re: Device manager shows “disk drive” instead of WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (SATA)

OK, as you told that the problem is coming after upgrading the driver. So if you are facing issues after this driver upgrade then you can simply uninstall that from your computer and install the previous one to it. If you are not having any problem with the current driver installed in your computer then it makes no sense to upgrade the driver just for the reason that it is available. So install the earlier version of it and see if that can resolve the issue.

Do you have the SpeedFan otherwise some similar thing installed in your computer? If that is the case then you can go to the S.M.A.R.T. tab and check what it is showing you there. My guess is that the SMART is failed in your case and that is the main reason that you are getting this issue. Once the main reason for the issue is clear then it will be easier for you to get the solution of the problem. So check for this possibility as well.

What was the driver that you have installed in your computer? I am asking this because hard driver drivers are already built into the operating system that you are having on your computer and I don’t think that these drivers need to be updated. I am having doubt that you have updated the SATA/IDE drivers in place of that. Otherwise, you might have done the Chipset drivers update. So be certain that which deriver you have updated.

You can try to do the system restore in your computer and see if that can resolve the problem for you. To do that, just start your computer in Safe Mode and when it asks you that do you wish to perform the system restore then you will have to select “Yes” from there. Now it will show you one window that will ask you to select a date when you wish to restore the system. You will have to select some date prior to the date when you updated the diver and press enter button. As you do that then it will start restoring the system. Now you will not have to do anything, just wait for the process to complete. Once it is completed with that then your computer will be rebooted and you will get your system back to previous condition.

Well, I do not know what to say? You can remove the drive, reboot without it, reinstall it and see if Windows will take it again, but beyond that if it really bothers you then you can try a repair installation, but I cannot say fix it or what unit performance is real bad or just the name that bothers you? If it's just a name that would leave well enough alone.