Thread: AHCI compliance on Macs running Windows and Linux

AHCI compliance on Macs running Windows and Linux

What is AHCI compliance on Macs running Windows and Linux, i just want to know how I can manage to use AHCI on an activated copy of Windows 7 and linux. What will be the modifications for some people who are running Linux and MAC OS. As I m using Linux so I wanted to know that what will be modifications. Can anyone help me out here?

Re: AHCI compliance on Macs running Windows and Linux

Yeah sure I have done some test according to those test I can say that AHCI awareness is perfectly achieavable on machines with that architecture (for instance, Macs) in which Windows7 has been installed and activated (for instance, through Daz and zsmin's loader). This might be due to three reasons. The first one is that the hash of the MBR, belongs to a pre-RTM version of the Windows7 MBR; the second one is that the hash belongs to a 32-bit MBR, whereas mine is 64-bit (supposing there's a difference); the third one is that the MBR of an activated machine is different from the one contemplated. AHCI awareness in Windows and Linux can do so at their own risk. I personnaly advise you that this procedure isn't for the fainthearted, that it involves certain danger of rendering the Windows partition unbootable and that it requires certain expertise in the use of certain programs (regedit, hex editors) and command line entry.

There are some step for AHCI which you have to follow but while doing these steps I m not responsible for the damage of your hardware or system failiure.
    Steps are as follows.
    1. Boot into Windows (not OS X) and then using any browser go to the Intel website. There you can see the Intel Matrix Storage Drivers for Windows. When I was doing, I found the file is called IATA89ENU.exe. Download it and save it somewhere safe; for instance, your Windows desktop. Don't get scared of running it, it is not going to work.
    2. Go to start menu and click on Run, type regedit and press Enter. Make sure that you have the administrator rights.
    3. On the left-side, navigate to "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci "
    4. On the right-side, edit the Start key and also edit the value from whichever is given to 0. This will simply tell Windows to look for AHCI on the next reboot. It does nothing on the next reboot, the disks are still set to legacy mode.
    5. Close all Windows programs and restart your system into Mac OS X.
    6. Then Open Disk Utility and look for your Windows area. Click on the device containing that Volume and ascertain its identity just press right-click on it. We will call that disc as disc 1
    7. Open a Terminal window (Applications, Utilities, Terminal).

If anything happens o your system, there some steps below which wil help you to retrieve from it.
    1. Start your computer into Mac OS X.
    2. Open Disk Utility and locate your Windows volume. Click on the device containing that Volume and ascertain its identity (right-click on it). We will call this disc as disk2 (disks can be rename or change from boot to boot).
    3. Remove that volume using Disk Utility. You'll be able to see that Windows disk disappearing from your MAC OS X.
    4. Open a Terminal window (Applications, Utilities, Terminal).
    5. Type sudo -s
    6. OS X will ask you for the root Password you just have to enter it.
    7. Just type the below commands (keep in mind that you need to replace "disk2" with whatever you found in step 2 above):
    dd if=~/w7.mbr of=/dev/disk2 bs=446 count=1
    8. If the steps you have followed perfectly, then operation will be successful and you have successfully restored your original MBR and you will be able to see your Windows disk is reappearing on your MAC OS X desktop. No harm done.