Thread: I want to setup RAID 1 (mirror) on SATA drives 1 & 2.

I want to setup RAID 1 (mirror) on SATA drives 1 & 2.

My question is a mix of machine Board and RAID. I have used a P5Q Deluxe among four Seagate 1TB SATA drives and I have a SATA DVD Writer. In the BIOS, the SATA is place into "IDE" (I had troubles set up the Operating System using the AHCI). I have set up Windows Server 2003, and I want to setup RAID 1 (mirror) on SATA drives 1 and 2. SATA1 is my present boot, and SATA2 is the similar drive form. I am on BIOS 605, it is got with the motherboard. At what time I meet problems fixing W2K3, I tried to update the BIOS, but my troubles persevere and I would finish up among the BIOS back to 605 (I did not explicitly reset, but somehow it was back). In retrospect, I consider that the simply actual difficulty I had with the set up was the SATA setting, as I had been annoying to utilize AHCI. In any situation, I would like to get the RAID working, but I am a small piece frightened for a some reasons.

Re: I want to setup RAID 1 (mirror) on SATA drives 1 & 2.

I have made a few growths. I was capable to shift the boot drive to the further SATA port (SIL5723 set of two), and it booted, as it previously had these drivers. Then I locate the BIOS to "RAID" for the unique set of 6 SATA ports, and rebooted, which bring up the "Found fresh Hardware" wizard; permitting me to set up the RAID drivers against my boot drive. Then I enthused the drive back to its unique port (which is currently in RAID mode, in its place of IDE mode), and it booted very well. So, I am half-way there. I currently have my drives on SATA ports get on with it RAID in the BIOS.

I believe the motive why we have been capable of do this is the fact P5Q motherboards have two disconnect SATA controllers. So the method is actually to shift the major unit in this "surplus" Marvel controller and let the OS how to operate the main Intel RAID controller enabled. Most tips that some states cannot convert an operating system to RAID, which is probably true if you only have a SATA controller, which is the situation among the majority motherboards. I presume this technique should also work with a devoted RAID controller card. And I set up Intel Matrix Storage Manager version 8.9.xxxx or something like.

So in general I am actually pleased. I would find out that the ICH10R chipset was the most excellent RAID alternative, short of receiving a complete blown controller card. So I take the danger of improvementing my motherboard just so that I would have this chipset. I did not realize how important the double SATA controllers would be at what time I purchased the P5Q, now I realize I made a too excellent alternative, although a lucky one, as it would have been a frightening to have to reset up the Operating System.

Originally, the Orange/Grey SATA ports associated to the Sis chip did not distinguish my SATA disk (step 1 in list). Exchanging the Marvel IDE on from the mainboard helped. (The HDD comes into view to be IDE even though it is SATA). The Operating System booted, and I rebooted the system, verify the BIOS, changed main ports to RAID, rebooting found the Operating System to identify the Intel ICH10R chip and set up drivers (I got it from Asus official web site). Behind that, re-changing the Operating System HDD to port0 worked! And then go on to set up the two data SATA disks and generate a RAID 1 array.