Thread: How to get the full path in directory listing

How to get the full path in directory listing

Does Windows XP present a technique to show the complete path within a directory listing? I have seen this kind of listing in by the use of the DOS commands as like given below
    Code:
     dir /s /(some other options) *.XXX
    When I out this command on DOS I may perhaps get the output like this way.
    Windows\USER\A.XXX
    Windows\USER\other\ABC.XXX
    Temp\QWE.XXX
    Documents and Settings\guest\My Documents\Public\B.XXX

Does this functionality is present by the use of native tools? If not, can anybody suggest a (preferably freeware) easy tool or utility to carry out so?

Re: How to get the full path in directory listing

As far as I know that there are no such tools in windows to extract the full patch of the directory listing. If you really want to get the full patch then you need to work on the command itself. Now open a command prompt window and enter "DIR /?" - exclusive of the quotes and you will observe what is obtainable for the DIR command. One probable way to accomplish what you wish is the following:
    Code:
    DIR /S *.XXX> c:\search.txt
    {this straights the output toward an edit file on top of the C drive intended for detailed presentation.}

Motivating thing is DIR commands through both /s /b offers the complete path opposite every file on Windows XP computer, but if the /b switch is put in exclusive of /s switch or /s exclusive of /b you will not obtain the listing through each and every one of the file names exposed with full path facing them. The /s switch shows files in subdirectories in addition to in directories. While /s switch is utilized devoid of /b switch (bare format), the files are prearranged in blocks and complete path is exposed for every of the blocks. While switch /b is utilized devoid of /s switch the look for is made in one directory only; and once more they do not encompass full path shown in front of each of the files. The mixture of the commands offers the necessary output.

Occasionally you require a list of each and every one of the files and/or folders within a directory among their full path, exclusive of whichever further information. “DIR /B” would be the correct command, if it simply written out the full path (it does that simply if united through the recursion parameter /S). Here is a method to get a listing of full paths, in the next instance of all folders inside the directory “C:\Users”:
    Code:
    D:\>for /f "delims=" %i in ('dir /b /ad "C:\Users"') do @echo C:\Users\%i
    C:\Users\All Users
    C:\Users\Default
    C:\Users\Public
    If you would like files scheduled, put back “/ad” by “/a-d”. If you would like together files and folders, make use of “/a”.

To get the full path of file, right-mouse on a file and choose 'send to' from the menu. The filepath.bat will come like a preference. Choose it, and a dos panel displaying the full path of the file will come into view. Click on top of the [c:] icon in the higher left of the windowpane and choose 'Properties'. Beneath the 'Options' tab, make sure the 'Quick Edit Mode'. After that ensure "Modify shortcut that started this window" (it is merely essential to accomplish this one moment). Afterward, whichever time you require to recognize the full path of a file, make use of the right-mouse->send to->filepath.bat.

The Synesis Software Grab Path Shell Extension is a straightforward, lone-command, shell extension. It offers a context-menu way in to duplicate the full path(s) of the presently chosen item(s) (counting directories) toward the clipboard. This is helpful for while an application desires a path identity except doesn't present the user the chance to look through in favor of it. The reply is to leave to Explorer, come across the file, right-click and copy the path toward the clipboard, and afterward go back to the original application and paste it directly in.