Thread: Not able to install Windows 7 OEM nor Ubuntu 10.10 on my system

Not able to install Windows 7 OEM nor Ubuntu 10.10 on my system

Hello friends I wanted to try this Ubuntu 10.10 operating system and that is why I removed the previous Windows 7 operating system in order to first install the Ubuntu and then Wind7 so as to make a dual boot. But when I installed the ubuntu I was not able to select the partition of my choice and when I select manually, I get an error saying No root file system is defined. After that when I tried to install the Windows again I found out that Windows 7 was not getting installed error, now I have left with a pc with no OS on it, so can someone help me to know that what should I do to get this thing started.

Re: Not able to install Windows 7 OEM nor Ubuntu 10.10 on my system

Dude which file system are you currently having on your system, since you are getting an error that is related to No root file system is defined so I think that you might not be having the exact file system selected while installing the operating system. If you are making use of the 64 bit version operating system then make sure that you are installing the same on your system as well, or you will have to first format the entire hard drive and then look to get the file system to get installed of your choice.

Make sure that you have got the desired space that is necessary for the ubuntu to get loaded correctly on the drive. Since if the partition doesn’t have the desired space that is necessary for the linux operating system to get loaded correctly then it will not get installed on your system and you will have to certainly empty some space for it to get installed on the partition.

Hey what I would suggest is that you should remove the hard drive from your system and take the same to other system and attach it and then see if you can get the ubuntu or the Windows 7 to install it from there, since you are getting which points to the hard disk so I would mostly recommend you to go with this option and see if you can get the operating system to get installed easily on your system or not.

Hey what I have come to know that you can read from and write to NTFS partitions in Ubuntu. But you cannot install Ubuntu on an NTFS or FAT partition. My advice is to install Windows on an NTFS partition and Ubuntu on an ext3 partition and then see if you are able to get the installation of the operating system done properly or not. I hope that this will solve all the problem with the installation of the file that you are facing.