Thread: No permission to save in this location.

No permission to save in this location.

Hi, I recently shifted from windows XP to Windows Vista. I recently installed few software in the system. I saved it in the program files directory. There is a folder within the software for working data file. I tried restoring my data files to start working but it always gives me this error message “You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact an administrator.” Someone please help me and give some suggestions. It will be appreciated.

Re: No permission to save in this location.

I think you are shown that error message because you are a normal user and not the administrator. Are you using the system from the administrator account? If not then I would suggest you to login from the administrator account and try doing it. Only administrator is provided with all the rights. You should remember that the Program Files is a protected directory. So only authorized user can access it and edit it. If you think that other users will be using these programs in future, you should create the directory in the public drive. Frankly, the best way to solve your problem is by logging into the actual Administrator account.

I also faced this problem when I had installed windows Vista. I tried this solution and it worked for me.
    Click on Start button on the bottom left of the screen. Now go to Control Panel. A new window will open. Find Windows Defender (usually installed in windows Vista or any other Anti-virus installed in your system) and click on it. Go to Tools and click on Options. Now uncheck “Automatically scan my computer” under Automatic Scanning and also uncheck “Use real-time protection” under Real Time Protection. Try this. Hope it works for you.

You can run most of the applications in Vista by just right clicking on the program icon and running as an Administrator. This provides user the authority to disable UAC (User Account Control) or changing the directory permission without compromising with the security of the system. Turning off the Internet Explorer’s protected mode had worked for me to overcome this problem. You can add the site to the Trusted sites zone sites to turn off the protected mode. By default the Trusted sites zone does not enable Protected Mode.

Thanks for the above posts but unfortunately they did not help me. I disable the UAC and Windows defenders but with no success. Nothing seems to be working for me. Also I am the only user of my system which makes me the administrator of my system. But If I am the ONLY user and the lone administrator on my computer, than why can't I save files where I want to? I have really started disliking windows Vista. It is interfering too much with the normal functioning. Any other suggestions than please help.

I would suggest you to give ownership of the file system to the “Administrators” group. This will restore access to everything for all the accounts that are local administrators. Follow these steps to give ownership. Open My Computer and right click on the C: drive. Now click on properties. A new window will be displayed. Select the security tab and click on the advanced button. Again a new window will appear. Select Owner tab and click on the Edit button. Now select Administrators and enable “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects”. Finally click on Apply. If any error message is displayed then just click continue. Error messages are usually “hiberfill.sys” and “pagefile.sys”.