Thread: The My Computer drives open as Search Results

The My Computer drives open as Search Results

My system is running with Windows XP Home with Service Pack2. I have set my computer which can open any files with just single click. Once my computer was attacked by worm and caused several EXE file. I have corrected that issue. After fixing this I got another problem. While I open "My Computer" and click on any Local Disk, it just opens with "Search Results" window. When I open it by right clicking it will open properly. I have checked the similar setting in other computer and there I didn’t get any problem comparable to this. How can I resolve it now?

Re: The My Computer drives open as Search Results

As far as I know that in your case the drivers or local disks are not opening as Search results instead they are opening as Windows Explorer rather than the Normal Windows view. This is not a major issue in the computer. It can be fixed. You might have changed some settings regarding the folder. At the first you need to go to the control panel and then open the Folder options. There you will get all the options regarding how the folder or file or even a disk should open. Change them appropriately according to your needs.

However this kind of issue will usually happens when the registry entries will be altered by some suspicious objects. As you already told that your computer has been attacked by worm. So it might have altered the registry keys without your knowledge. To correct this first go to Start > Run and then type”regedit”. Press “Enter” and go through the following keys.
    • HKey_Class_Root\Folder\shell {choose the "default" (situated inside the right-hand pane) and erase.}
    • HKey_Class_Root\Drive {choose the "default" and alter the value to 'none' exclusive of the quotes.}
    • HKey_Class_Root\Directory {pick the "default" and change the value to 'none' not including the quotes.}

There is simply an easier method to import changes (merge) to the registry. I wouldn't actually name it a script. However a script file may perhaps have made this as well except it would have seemed dissimilar. The filename would be FolderFix.vbs. You would at rest make use of Notepad to generate the file. Here is an instance. This method has fixed me a issue regarding the drives or folders open with search results.
    Code:
    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell" ) 
    keyname0 = "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\" 
    keyname1 = "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\" 
    keyvalue0= "none" 
    WshShell.RegWrite keyname0, keyvalue0 
    WshShell.RegWrite keyname1, keyvalue0 
    X = WshShell.Run("REGSVR32 /I /S SHELL32.DLL",4,True) 
    Set WshShell = Nothing 
    MyBox = MsgBox("Double-clicking on Folders should now Open instead of the 
    Search Function.", 4096, "Folder Fix" )

Not only you but many people are getting the same issue like one you are having now. However you might know that this kind of issues can be fixed in Windows XP easily if you are familiar with the settings in it. First open and folder in your computer and after that go to folder options (tools>folder options). Select a Tab called Files at the top of the Options window. Find 'Drive' and click on it. After this click on an option named as ‘advanced’. At this moment you'll notice a list with barely single entry named 'find' and it is almost certainly bolded. Now click the list with the intention that finds is not dyed and click 'Set Default'. This ought to un-bold find.

You have just messed up with Windows XP default settings. You have modified the setting intentionally or unintentionally. As a result your driver and all folders will open with Windows Explorer window rather than the Normal or default window. You have to again revert back all the settings present in your system to default settings. May be it could help you to solve the problem. Otherwise either you might need to run the Windows repair disk or re-install the windows if nothing as worked so far now.