Thread: Windows 7 "Remove from this list" problem.

Windows 7 "Remove from this list" problem.

Hello, I've been breaking my head for weeks over this one please help!

My problem is that I removed Firefox by mistake from my Recent Programs by selecting "Remove from this list" so I just wanted to reset the Recent Programs list to make it start logging my most used programs again so...

What I did was to right click the Start Menu, click Properties and uncheck "Store and display recently opened programs in the Start menu", then I checked it again and the result was a blank list... but when the list started populating again all the programs that I had ignored in the past still don't show up (including Firefox).

I've tried everything without success, so maybe someone can tell me where the blacklisted programs are stored? Maybe a file needs to be deleted or a registry key?

From what I've been investigating it's not in the registry. It has nothing to do with "UserAssist" or any other registry key I've found. I have a program called User Assist View and I can confirm UserAssist is logging Firefox each time I open it, it's even my most used program but it still doesn't show up in the Start menu.

It has nothing to do with "automaticDestinations-ms" files or any file from %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent.

Oh and I don't want to pin Firefox to the Start menu, just to reset the recent programs logging.

I use Windows 7 Ultimate, 32Bit.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Petes; 31-03-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Re: Windows 7 "Remove from this list" problem.

Oh and sorry for any mistake, english is not my first language. I tried my best.
    Last edited by Petes; 31-03-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Am little confused with 'Recent Programs list' and 'Startup List'. Hence, what i know is if you want to add Firefox in your start up list, just create a shortcut of Firefox exe and cut / paste that shortcut into this folder:
    Start/Documents and Settings/Programs/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/

Yeah thanks but that's not what I want.

I know how to put a link in the start menu, what I'm looking for is to reset the list with the most used programs from the Start menu so it starts adding any program again.

It appears to be a very technical setting for some reason Windows 7 won't let this change easily. I believe this is normal for Win7 since I have the same problem with 2 of my computers.
    Last edited by Petes; 31-03-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Petes View Post
    What I did was to right click the Start Menu, click Properties and uncheck "Store and display recently opened programs in the Start menu", then I checked it again and the result was a blank list
    Yes, this is what you need to make it as it was before. You need to check that box, thats it. But as you said it is still not working like before... rather than doing any core troubleshoot, i would suggest you to simply restore your system to the most latest restore point. It will work definitely

Well. I preffer not to do a system restore since I change my system very frequently and I don't know what the result will be, plus I've been having this problem for months and I wouldn't know which restore point to get and I believe that's Windows 7 normal behavior.

I'll keep investigating and post here if I find the solution, any help is greatly appreciated.

As per your description, I suggest to clear the keys in the registry to have a test firstly, you may refer the following link to perform this.

http://www.downloadbestsoft.com/howt...-menu--46.html

Otherwise, unregistered software which will not appear there. In addition, You may consider of pinning the program to the pane.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson22 View Post
    As per your description, I suggest to clear the keys in the registry to have a test firstly, you may refer the following link to perform this.

http://www.downloadbestsoft.com/howt...-menu--46.html

Otherwise, unregistered software which will not appear there. In addition, You may consider of pinning the program to the pane.
    Just did it but Firefox is not even on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications, I even did a full registry search for NoStartPage with no luck. I've also done full registry searches for "firefox.exe", "firefox.lnk" and "firefox".

Pinning the program is my final option if I find out there's absolutely no way to reset recent programs.

Have you tried to right click the Start button and select Properties and in the Privacy section, remove the check mark from the "Store and displayrecently opened items in the Start Menu and the Taskbar" option. Click Apply/OK. Check the Windows Explorer Jump List and the Recent Items section should be empty. Go back and re-enable that option.

Quote Originally Posted by reddevil6 View Post
    Have you tried to right click the Start button and select Properties and in the Privacy section, remove the check mark from the "Store and displayrecently opened items in the Start Menu and the Taskbar" option. Click Apply/OK. Check the Windows Explorer Jump List and the Recent Items section should be empty. Go back and re-enable that option.
    Yep, this is from my first post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petes View Post
    What I did was to right click the Start Menu, click Properties and uncheck "Store and display recently opened programs in the Start menu", then I checked it again and the result was a blank list... but when the list started populating again all the programs that I had ignored in the past still don't show up (including Firefox).

So... FF and other removed programs just appeared in one of my computers and I'm sure they will appear in other one very soon.

I just gave them some time to appear again (one month ).

I knew it was going to happen just like MS website said but that is far from being a solution, anyways thanks for the help I just gave up on this one. But feel free to post a solution if you ever find it.

Thanks.

If you still not solve your issue than I have one solution for you. Don't overlook that Windows can just display a precise of number of programs which have been newly launched (the default is six) so it's completely probable that Firefox won't be shown there for a number of days afterward feature has been reset. If you raise the number of programs displayed their Firefox may emerge. To increase the number of programs scheduled, right-click the Start orb and select "Properties". Below the "Start Menu" tab click "Customize". At the base of the box you will see "Start menu size" and a spinner to alter the number.