Thread: accidently disabled all services in vista, now internet wont work

accidently disabled all services in vista, now internet wont work

So I pretty much did a stupid thing 2 days ago. I was trying to improve the performence of my PC, went to the services tab in task manager and accidently disabled all services. Everying kept working... until the next morning when I switched it on. I couldn't connect to the internet through ethernet (I'm assuming there was a service for that kinda thing) and the layout was all classic.

I shutdown and inserted my windows anytime upgrade CD and installed a new copy of windows vista home premium onto my computer, activated it and used that. Now, I still could not connect to the internet. I rember in the past I got some guy in who had an ethernet card or something to install drivers for the ethernet (dont think mine has them, or will search for them). I had drivers for the ethernet on my other version of windows.

So when I boot up my computer it gives me two options automatically, both windows vista, I go to my original one to find a blank black screen but in the bottom right corner:

"Window Vista (TM)
    Build 6000
    This copy of windows is not genuine"

By this stage I've searched on the laptop I'm using now how to get those services going again, by using the Winkey + R, but that does not work, it just a blank black screen with the above on the bottom right, no taskbar no nothing. I think its to do with the services again.

After awhile on that screen I get three options:

Use the automated phone system

Access your computer with reduced functionality (for me this only brings up firefox which does not connect)

Type a different product key

When I try clicking a different product key and inserting my product key from the sticker on the computer (same key i used to activate windows for the new version I created without drivers) it comes up with:

Windows activation error
    A problem occured when windows tried to activate. error code 0x8007000D

Description of the error code was that the data is invalid.

I'm assuming this is because I have the code active in the new version I made?

Got myself into a bit of a mess. Is there some way to deactivate the new one and activate the old? I still have access to my old files on my new one. Apparently I can only activate a by installing a new... and I need the old... I remember the guy charging us £50 for installing ethernet drivers with a card or something.

Re: accidently disabled all services in vista, now internet wont work

Just follow the below procedures to solve your issue:

1. Press the WINKEY+R to bring up the Run dialog box.

2. Type SLUI 4 in the box and press OK. This will start the Telephone Activation Wizard.

3. Select your country in the drop down menu and click the Next Button. Follow the instructions on the screen and call the number that is shown there.

Follow the recorded instructions and when the telephone activation fails, stay on the line and an Activation Representative will answer. Just describe the problem you are experiencing and they will manually activate the system for you.

Hope this helps.