Thread: Problem occurring while installing ubuntu 10.10 in Compaq Presario c500

Problem occurring while installing ubuntu 10.10 in Compaq Presario c500

Hello friends, I recently got an second hand laptop which was of Compaq Presario c500 the operating system present in it is windows vista, it was been used by my dad from a long time, when I got it I tried installing ubuntu 10.10 in it. I tried doing with latest distro that were present but no luck with it, when ever I tried burning the cd with the setup file of the Linux it would say that most of the file would be corrupted and also tried my level best with the help of wubi for installing with the windows but no help, also apart from these, I also have the over clocking and lag problem in the laptop, this happens when I keep my laptop on for long time, so can you help me in this.

Re: Problem occurring while installing ubuntu 10.10 in Compaq Presario c500

Hello there, it seems that you have a slight wrong knowledge about the concept of windows and Linux, windows vista has no connection with the problem that you are talking about, also when the installation process is been occurring in the laptop windows do not recognize it, also the way the installation goes in the drive is as follows, it create the partition of the drive and then it store the files and the data in it, with the help of the boot loader , the option of which operating system to load, is been provided and based on that the operating system you choose during that is been taken. So there must be some problem in the method that you are following.

The disc that you have with the help of Wubi, the process is done by installing Linux alongside Windows. It would not boot directly from disk to install from there. If I remember correctly, some of the mistakes will be present when trying to install Ubuntu is in the folder (temporary) Ubuntu already exists but if you delete that folder, it would mean that the folder was gone and needed to create, and then show that the file is already existed. So because of these issue present in the Wubi, you can go with the latest version of the Linux or directly boot the operating system from the cd.

Hi there, according to me the boot CD technique that is been present is the normal way of installing, I had tried installing with various boot cd that were present, during that all the easy stuff was been done by me and the tuff thing were been done by the friend of mine who is having a very deep knowledge about Linux. He always tell me that don’t use Wubi for installing the Linux into the computer, but since that is a easy way to do that I go with it. But as he says if there is ant of the error present then it will be difficult to remove that. The main problem is the issue about the folder which is already present and also the computer is not been in the mode to grasp the latest change that you want to do.

Hello there, I just wanted to ask you that what kind of the message is been used while the booting of the CD is been done, is it showing the message like ’press any key to continue’, is this message is been present then try to change the order of the boot in the boot option. If I was in your place then I would take the hard drive out and try to boot the Linux in to it, this thing sometime works and some time it doesn’t. Also I have seen that the bios value which must have change or it require changes, is not been done in it. So just check the bios in the laptop, and see that it is properly provided the value.