Thread: Windows 7 error: "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from PCNAME-PC\USERNAME to make changes to this file."

Windows 7 error: "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from PCNAME-PC\USERNAME to make changes to this file."

I am installed Windows 7 on my pc and if I am trying to modify some music records metadat then I am getting an error message saying that "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from PCNAME-PC\USERNAME to make changes to this file". I have checked for some solutions on the internet but cannot find anything appropriate. Can anyone please help me to solve this problem? Thanks

Re: Windows 7 error: "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from PCNAME-PC\USERNAME to make changes to this file."

I think that you need to take the ownership of that file and that can fix your issue. To take the ownership follows the steps given. First select the folders that you want to take ownership of and then right click on that folder and then select properties. Now under properties go to the security tab and then press ok while security prompts. After that go to the advanced tab and then select the owner tab and then checkmark on Replace owner on sub containers and objects. And now click ok and press yes while if you are prompted for it. Hope this helps

Re: Windows 7 error: "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from PCNAME-PC\USERNAME to make changes to this file."

You can try to share that folder instead of the whole drive. So, first of all create a folder in the same drive, lets assumed C:\ and then put all your music records in it and then share that folder. You can do this steps on giving the permissions to the folder/files that I have told you. This will definitely help you sort out the problem.

You will need to gain permission of the folder or file by right clicking on it and then go to Properties. After that go to Security Tab and then press Edit button and then press Add and write your username under Enter the object names to select and then press Check Names and now it must be underlined and depending on your pc's name it should look like something with "YOUR-PC\Username" and then press OK and your username should be added to the list. Now choose it and then press Full Control checkbox and then press ok.