Thread: How to force a reinstall windows 7 the hard way?

How to force a reinstall windows 7 the hard way?

My Neice has an Acer Aspire 5742G laptop. Its an i5 model with Nvidia Geforce GT240m video card running Windows 7 home premium.

Recently, she has been unable to use it because when she gets to the logon screen and enters her password, it blue screens.

I tried to do a repair of the operating system but leave the data intact (one of the options from the repair menu in advanced boot options) and let it run through the install procedure, but when it rebooted, it detected an error and displayed a message saying it needed to be reinstalled again.

The problem is that now, there is no boot option to allow me to reinstall. The only options I get are "Safe mode", "Safe mode with networking", "Safe mode with command prompt", "Last known good configuration" and "boot normally", although the boot screen does say that "Windows failed to start and that I should insert a Windows Installation Disc" (or words to that effect).

I don't have an installation disc! I cant boot the laptop to make one from the built in tools and I cant download one from the Acer site.

I can access the file system from a linux liveCD, so I was wondering if there is a way to force the laptop to run the reinstall by editing a file or forcing it to run a command.

Anyone?

Re: How to force a reinstall windows 7 the hard way?

There is a way to fix that but anyhow for that you will need a bootable Windows setup. You can do that by a usb also. For that first you can for sometime borrow Windows 7 Bootable cd from someone and then using Unetbootin you can create a bootable pen drive. Boot from that and run startup repair. Second way to fix it is to install windows on a removable drive. That if you have more than 8GB of a Pen drive or an external hard drive you can install windows on that and then boot. Then you can copy data from the corrupted operating system.