Thread: How to sync files between Windows XP and Windows 7

How to sync files between Windows XP and Windows 7

I have just bought a new netbook which is running a Windows 7 Home Premium operating system and I am having a Home Office now along with the desktop and laptop. I used to get this file even in the offline mode by synchronizing them while using the same Windows XP operating system on both laptop as well as desktop machine. Now I am looking forward to do the same thing from my Windows 7 netbook.

Re: How to sync files between Windows XP and Windows 7

News synchronization manager: The doc says that the Windows synchronization manager can not be used to manage the sync files on Windows XP home edition, but only in XP Pro. Weird anyway, since the program is still under home edition. Perhaps with a minor modification, it could work, reviews the pros ... Meanwhile, it is much less elegant but practical, I do with the briefcase. This entails asking whether the same update files but it does it anyway.

There are several solutions to your problem ... Either the windows sync manager. Or just watch the date and time of last modification of your files. And the solution I discovered recently: there are programs that compare 2 files (or 2 groups of files) and which show the differences between these files (you can imagine how convenient it is when we change its files and you want to accumulate changes in a program for example). Is the one I use WinMerge and it is a freeware, which is even better

By way of Offline Files, you can carry on to work with files or network programs, yet you're disconnected. If you lose your network connection or if you disconnect your laptop from its docking station, shared network elements made available offline will still display the same way as if you were connected. You can continue your work quite normally on these items. You have the same access to these files and folders when you are connected to the network. When the status of your connection is changed, the Offline Files icon appears in the status area, and above it, a bubble of information is displayed to warn you of the change. When the network connection is restored or you reconnect your notebook to its docking station, all changes made while working offline are updated on the network. When you and another person of the network make changes to the file, you can either save your version, or to retain the other version, or save both.

It is possible to perform synchronization manually or configure the Synchronization Manager to control when offline files are synchronized to the network. Synchronization Manager also controls the execution of a full synchronization or fast. A packed synchronization guarantee that you have the newest version of each network file made available offline. Rapid synchronization takes much less time than a full sync, but it does not guarantee you to have the latest version of network files made available offline. However, a fast synchronization checks that a whole version of the files is available, so you can carry on working.

Windows Synchronization Manager is also a central point for synchronization of other applications such as email and web pages offline. You can use the Windows Synchronization Manager to schedule synchronizations or ask Windows to automatically synchronize the selected items when you open or close a session on a computer, or disconnect a laptop from its docking station. For more information, see the Windows documentation.

I am using Backup Cow to sync files between computers. It is a nice backup sync tool to let me sync, back up, access, and share files anywhere.