Thread: I need clarification on system restore's effects in Vista

I need clarification on system restore's effects in Vista

Hello community,

My computer's charger fried about a month and a half ago and it took Amazon FOREVER to get me a new one. So long in fact that I forgot the new password I put for my Windows log in.

Here's the question:
    Is system restore my best option? Will it erase the password on my Windows account?

Background:
    I've read on different sites the different operating systems respond differently and I don't know how Vista would function.

I feel that I've exhausted my options and need to do a system restore to the original factory settings.

I've tried the "Offline NT" program but to no avail. I think that it may be because I have a dual-boot system (Ubuntu) and it may have changed or altered the registry where the password is. I honestly don't know though. I'm just guessing in the dark here. OphCrack (whatever the spelling is) won't work because I made the password really long to be comical. It's definitely not funny now. . .

Called Sony but they want to charge me a cool $120 (no way).

Anyway, Is a system restore my best option? Will it erase the password on my Windows account?

In advance, I really appreciate those of you who share your time with the novices like me

Re: I need clarification on system restore's effects in Vista

Well, i could have said yes about restoring will remove your password but your sentence "I've read on different sites the different operating systems respond differently and I don't know how Vista would function." really made me confused too. Anyways, as still i wanna help you, i would suggest you to please checkout some discussion available on the same topic. Hope that will help you, if not than just go with restoring.

First checkout these:
    How to bypass windows vista login password?
    Forgot Log-In Password in Windows Vista

Or, there are lots more in this list.