Thread: Windows 7: unable to change the drive letter

Windows 7: unable to change the drive letter

I have installed windows 7 on the computer of mine. I am getting an error message when I am trying to change the letter of the external USB hard disk. The error message can be stated as follow’Disk Management console view not up to date’ I have tried with diakpart but it is displaying only drives letters on the screen. Can anyone help me out to fix the problem of mine. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Windows 7: unable to change the drive letter

You can use the following instruction to fix the problem of yours.
    • You have to launch Computer Management by Clicking on start button and go for control panel.
    • Now go for System and Maintenance and Click on Administrative tool then double click on the Computer Management.
    • You have to click on Disk Management.
    • Now right click on the desired hard disk and click on Change Drive Letter and Paths from the right click context menu.
    • In order to change the drive letter click on the change button and click on Assign the following drive letter. Now choose the desire letter and simply click on the Ok button.

You have to click on the Start button and go for Control Panel.
    1. Now click on the System Security and go for Administrative Tools. Now click on the Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions.
    2. It will display all the partition on the hard disk.
    3. Select the desire drive and right click on it. Now choose Select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    4. Now do the desire changes and let me know whether it is working or not.

If your USB device has not assigned any drive letter then use the following instruction.
    • You have to go for Device Manager from the Control Panel of your computer.
    • You have to search for the thing like ‘Unknown disk’.
    • You have to right click on it and choose uninstall.
    • Once you have uninstalled you need to press F5 or choose ‘scan for hardware changes’ from the action menu. See that driver is reinstalled correctly on the computer.

You can use memory stick for this particular issue . you can use the following steps to fix the matter of yours
    • You have to launch the Disk Management from the Control Panel of your computer.
    • Now simply insert Memory Stick. Once you have inserted you need to see in the list.
    • Simply click on the Properties and go for top tab drivers.
    • Now click on the Disable and after that click on the Enable button.

I was having the same problem which you posted in this particular thread. Well I have done the following thing and luckily it really worked for me.
    • You have to go for Device Manager and simply click on View. Now click on Show Hidden Files and you will see thing like ‘Unknown Device’ you have to right click on it and choose Delete from the right click context menu.
    • Now go for My Computer and check whether there is drive or not.
    • I am hoping that it will work for the everyone who are having the similar problem like me.