Thread: file share witness problem in windows 2008 cluster

sad file share witness problem in windows 2008 cluster

Hi Everyone,

I'm writing because I've a problem with a windows cluster server 2008, the evironment is the following:

- Vmware ESXi 4.0 with Domain Controller, two windows server 2008 in cluster
    - 1 virtual NAS (the quorum is here) such as windows server 2008.

I followed the esxi guide to install the cluster according any requirements. I got the following errors frequently:

EventID 1135:Cluster node 'XXX' was removed from the active failover cluster membership. The Cluster service on this node may have stopped. This could also be due to the node having lost communication with other active nodes in the failover cluster. Run the Validate a Configuration wizard to check your network configuration. If the condition persists, check for hardware or software errors related to the network adapters on this node. Also check for failures in any other network components to which the node is connected such as hubs, switches, or bridges.

EventID 1049:File share witness resource 'File Share Witness (\\NAS\quorum)' failed to arbitrate for the file share '\\NAS\quorum'. Please ensure that file share '\\NAS\quorum' exists and is accessible by the cluster.

EventID 1069:Cluster resource 'File Share Witness (\\NAS\quorum)' in clustered service or application 'Cluster Group' failed.

EventID 1564:File share witness resource 'File Share Witness (\\NAS\quorum)' failed to arbitrate for the file share '\\NAS\quorum'. Please ensure that file share '\\NAS\quorum' exists and is accessible by the cluster.

it's seems to be an errors sequence.

I'v already modified hearbeat and quorum time max parameters but I got the same error always.

Does anyone know any solution?

Thank you in advance!

Re: file share witness problem in windows 2008 cluster

Well the problem that you are facing can be solved and for the same what you have to do is that just try and Check network hardware and configuration. Well you can do the same by opening the event viewer and then viewing events related to fail over clustering. If you are confused then you can follow the below mentioned steps:
    1. First of all you have to just run the Validate a Configuration Wizard here you have to just select the network and inventory tests.
    2. Now further you have to check if there are any hardware or software errors and for that you have to go to the event log.
    3. And mean while also check whether the network adapter, cables, and network configuration are connected properly or not.
    4. Last but not the least check out whether the hubs, switches, or bridges in the networks that connect the nodes are in the appropriate condition.

sad Re: file share witness problem in windows 2008 cluster

Hi, thank you for reply.

I've already checked cluster validation test, physical switch status, and everything else but the problem is still there.

I've also set the duplex/speed settings between virtual cluster and switches.

The only one thing that I notice is the following:

when the cluster is up and running properly I don't have any issues, but suddenly the owner node of cluster got first an "IP conflict" error on the cluster VIP or on the "IIS VIP" (my cluster is in Failover configuration and for IIS I used "cluweb" script found on internet to manage IIS failover). And then it got the error written in the previous post.

Instead the other node got only the errors that I wrote on the previous post.

The HW seems to be correct: HP DL380 G6 for Esxi and switch cisco Catalyst 3750G

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you very much.

If you are getting the problem of "IP Conflict" then this main problem might be related to FSM. The node might be accessing the same quorum share, but they are not accessing the same qourom GUID. The IP conflict problem would be a part of this quorum problem.

So, this patch might be able to solve the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;952247

unsure Re: file share witness problem in windows 2008 cluster

Hi Thank you very much for reply.

I've downloaded the package but despite my windows server 2008 is genuine it doesn't work because I cannot install it.

The error is : " the update does not apply to your system "

Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance!

To use the file sharing, you must have the admin rights and if you are not having the proper privilege then you may get the issues like this. So, make sure that you have logged in as the administrator of the system. Or if you are not the admin of the system then ask your admin to provide you the proper privilege. I hope that this will solve the issue for you.

smile Re: file share witness problem in windows 2008 cluster

Hi, sure I'm System and Domain Administrator! What did you think about me? But it doesn't work despite I've full rights!

Anyway I found the solution by myself and now the cluster works properly!

------ It was E1000 NIC driver, I had to re-install the driver provided by Intel --------

thanks however!