Thread: Windows XP: WshNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives is not working

Windows XP: WshNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives is not working

Well I am great user of Windows based operating system. Currently I am using Windows XP on the computer of mine. I have recently installed KB982802 update on the my system. I have found that following codes are not working at all.
    Code:
    Set WshNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")
     Set oDrives = WshNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives
    Well this thing is particularly associated with EnumNetworkDrives. The system of mine gets crashed and prompting error message that can states that ‘The array bounds are invalid’ with the error code 800706C6. Can anyone let me know how can I fix this particular matter? Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Windows XP: WshNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives is not working

Well I was having the same problem on the computer of mine which you have posted in this particular thread. objNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives seems to be not working after installing this particular thing on the computer. It is working only when there is mapped up drive to the Sharepoint site and that Sharepoint site is added in to My Network Places then I need to remove mapping to that particular site to fix the problem of mine. Once I have removed I need to reboot the computer of mine. It is possible there might be other reason which is causing the problem but in my case mapping and share point was the root cause of the problem.

According to me KB980802 is important update but not the critical one for the Windows XP. If you have make a decision that you are not supposed to install this particular update then you need to hide it so that it cannot be installed by the Automatic Updates.
    • You have to click on the Start button and go for run where you have to enter ‘services.msc’ without quotes and hit enter. Now you need to double click on Automatic Updates and simply click on Stop.
    • Now erase entire content of Download folder. You have to browse that particular folder and erase the content from the same.
    • Now navigate to official website of the Windows Update and click on the Custom and click on Allow to scan complete. Now you have to uncheck KB980802 to hide the same.
    • Now begin the Automatic Updates service by doing the following.
    • You have to click on Start button and click on Run and enter services.msc and hit enter from the keyboard.
    • Now simply double click on Automatic Updates and click on the Start button.
    • It might take several minutes to begin the service.

Well l don’t know why this happening in your situation but I can let you know something EnumNetworkDrives which will help you know more about this method. It will returns the list of Collection object which are the set of all the local and remote names of mapped network drives. Well all the even indexed elements are referred as local names and odd indexed names are considered as remote name. You can use the following VBScript code to enlist all the mapped network drive on the network of yours.
    Code:
    Set WshNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    Set clDrives = WshNetwork.EnumNetworkDrives
    For i = 0 to clDrives.Count -1
        WScript.Echo clDrives.Item(i)
    Next

I don’t know why this issue being faced on the windows XP of yours. But I think know another thing which was causing the similar kind of the problem on windows98. Well according to me this problem is not dependent on the SAMBA or not. I think this problem is highly dependent on the version of wsh. I have found that this particular issue is being causing due to usage of wsh version 5.6 and prior one on the Windows 98.

Well you told me that this particular being caused after installing KB980802 on the computer of yours. Hence I am recommend that you should uninstall this particular update from the computer of yours. Once you have completed with the uninstall process of the update you are supposed to restart the computer of yours. I think it is the most reliable solution which I can give to fix the problem of yours.

I think I am going to suggest you a universal solution to fix the problem of yours. Well I am suspecting that there is a bug in this particular update. So I think you contact Microsoft and report bug for the same. You can email to Microsoft with the bug report and they will work around on this particular thing and release update after fixing the bug. I think they are the only person who can fix the matter. I am hoping that they help you to fix the matter.