Thread: Unable to login after upgrading to snow leopard 10.6.5

Unable to login after upgrading to snow leopard 10.6.5

I had an old OS on my PC and recently I upgraded it to Snow Leopard 10.6.5 which is supposed to be fastest OS. But from the time I have upgraded it I am facing some problem .The problem is that I cannot see the users in the login screen. All other existing user account disappears and the only user I can see is ‘other’ in some blue logo. Please someone provide me with the solution for this query as I don’t want to lose the access of my Mac. It would be very disgusting if I lose the account because of this upgrade. If anyone has some ideas about it then do reply.

Re: Unable to login after upgrading to snow leopard 10.6.5

Looking at your problem I feel that there might be something wrong with the way you have upgraded your OS. You must have made some mistakes in the process of up gradation .What I would suggest is that you uninstall the OS which you have installed before. After that you have to reinstall it following the same procedure which you have used earlier. Once you done with that then you can check out if you can login with your Mac account. I am sure the reinstallation process will surely help you to get rid of this problem.

I think that the solution of reinstallation is correct method to remove this problem but what it somewhat seems to be incomplete .What you need to further do is once you reinstall the Snow leopard in your PC you have to create same user account. Once you finished with that you can then find all the settings at the desktop as you wish. But in such case you need to have another installation process to carry out and this will take some time. Also this process will lose another 8-10 GB of your hard disk space. But you can check out with this process and this will work as well.

There is another solution to this is that after reinstalling snow leopard OS 10.6.5 it will reset the permission of all the users to deny the access to the login menu. For this you should have a Server Admin Tools on your Mac .If you use ‘Server Admin’ to connect to the computer and if you go to the access then you can re enable login screen for your account that you have. Also this will help you to re enable login screen for all other accounts that you have. This will help you to login without facing any problem.

The alternate to above solution is that you can put your Snow Leopard DVD and force it to boot from the disk by holding down ‘C’. Then use the option to change password from the utility menu that will be present. After that you need to re-boot from the internal HD and get the same "Other" option for user accounts. Now you need to login as ‘root’. Once you login as "root" you will be able to create all your old users. Then try all users and they will pick up all the all data correctly. I am quite sure this will also work without any problem. Once this is done you can login in to your id.