Thread: Encrypted sparsebundle fails to work but manual backup is working!

Encrypted sparsebundle fails to work but manual backup is working!

Well in today morning I was attempting to configure Time Machine to create back up of the file in to encrypted sparsebundle. It worked for me so I was really happy. However after an hour I was really disappointed since Time Machine was unable to perform single automatic backup. Observing the situation I have found the following line. 'Not starting scheduled Time Machine backup - time machine destination not resolvable.' Well I have searched on the Google to find out the toot cause of the problem but I did not find anything which I can apply. Finally I have arrived here to find out the root cause of the problem from you all guys. I am hoping that you will solve the problem of mine.

Re: Encrypted sparsebundle fails to work but manual backup is working!

I am not having permanent solution for the problem of yours but I can let you which you can apply to fix the problem of yours on the temporary basis. You have to add crontab entry to execute at every hour and invoke.
    Code:
    /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd.bundle/Contents/Resources/backupd-helper
    You have to use above mentioned thing without using any argument. You can also create LaunchDaemon if it is required in the situation of yours. Once you have finished with above mentioned steps you have to restart your computer and see whether it helps you or not.

I know another workaround which you can use to solve the problem of yours. This particular problem will work fine on the desktop computers. You have to search for the following two files in the system of yours.
    Code:
    /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-auto.plist

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-wake.plist
    Well you have to remove –auto and –wake arguments from the above mentioned files the backup function will work smoothly. Now restart the computer. You will prompt with ‘The identity of the backup disk has changed since the previous backup’ you have to simply click on it ‘use this disk’.

Well I am having some very simple steps to fix the problem of yours.
    • You have to copy ‘com.apple.backupd-auto.plist’ file in order to create Time Machine helper file using the below mentioned command . for this purpose you have to login into your computer using Admin account.
    Code:
    sudo cp /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-auto.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-helper.plist
    • Into resulting new file you have to delete <string>-auto</string> and save the same.
    • Now use the following command on the terminal.
    Code:
    sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-helper.plist
    Using above mentioned command Time Machine will run the scheduled back up on the system of yours.

You can use the following instruction when you wanted to restore encrypted backup from the OSX DVD. You have to launch the Terminal from the Utilities menu and copy paste the following command on the Terminal window.
    Code:
    hdiutil attach /Volumes/timemachine/mymac_MACaddress.sparsebundle
    • This will request you for the password and enter the same. Now go for graphical installer.
    • In to recovery option you will see Time Machine Backup which located in to encrypted sparsebundle.
    • I have to return in to recovery process until I get the source to restore the data.

Well according to me this regression especially introduced in to 10.6.5. The Sparsebundle approach is worked properly for the version of 10.5 and 10.6. I have seen that manually invoked backup using Sparsebundle works great. OS X with the version of 10.6.3 has provided better support for Sparsebundle which allows to automatically growth the bundle if the bundle is full but there is an empty space on the disk of the system.