Thread: SBS HDD corrupt, Directory Services error after rebuild

SBS HDD corrupt, Directory Services error after rebuild

Hello.

I came in to see that raid 5 was offline on my server (server 1) due to 2 out of 3 HDDs failing (why? I do not know). I forced one online which said that sbs 2003 was missing a dll. I forced the other failed hdd online instead and I managed to boot windows but I got the following error message:

Code:
    LSASS.EXE - System Error, security accounts manager initialization failed because of the following error: Directory Services cannot start. Error status 0xc00002e1.

Please click OK to shutdown this system and reboot into directory services restore mode, check the event log for more detailed information.
    I followed KB258062 from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258062 but I don't have C:\WINDOWS\NTDS\dsadata.bak and the KB does not state what to do if this is missing.

Anyway, I checked the files integrity and I got errors all over the place so I decided to do a tape restore of the System State from 2 days prior to the fault (ntbackup is EXTREMELY slow to respond during these steps, is that normal for Directory Services Restore Mode?).

I am able to boot into windows but I get the error message one or more services failed to start and when I log in no users have access to internet or shared folders.

Desperate now

Thanks for any assistance.

EDIT: I have another server on the system (server 2) which also is a Domain Controller but when I attempted to recreate the AD on Server 1 but it failed due to RPC service error.
    Last edited by jimbob2001; 18-02-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: added info re server 2

Re: SBS HDD corrupt, Directory Services error after rebuild

Sorry for double post, can't see where I can edit again, but network files and internet seems fine, but I get tcp/ip service failed. I am currently following these steps: but I find it worrying that it seems that AD is still corrupt as we can't sign in with network usernames (unless that user has been saved on the computer) and emails are also not working.

I would like to add that when I restores system state, I also restored C drive yet I am still having issues.

Re: SBS HDD corrupt, Directory Services error after rebuild

I have a very little knowledge about Small Business Server, but if it is like the other flavors of Windows Server 2003, then it would not have Active Directory (NTDS) installed immediatly after the OS installation. So what it looks like to me is your choices are Active Directory Restore Mode or do a Clean Install. If you have other Domain Controllers, you might try demoting this DC, cleaning AD for any broken/improperly demoted Domain Controllers, then promoting this one again as a Peer Domain Controller.