Thread: Apple software copy will be on USB stick in future?

Apple software copy will be on USB stick in future?

I just brought a macbook air and as it doesn't have an optical drive, the application software came in a USB stick. I feel this is the beginning of the death of the optical drives. I guess apple will provide USB sticks with all future machines and OSes. What do you guys feel? Here's the image of the USB stick apple provided.

Re: Apple software copy will be on USB stick in future?

I feel Mac OS X 10.7 Lion should be available on both USB and DVD both for convenience. It would be pretty easy and portable for anyone if it comes on USB. If people buy a copy, then it should be like steam accounts, that you can download it from App Store. It would be real fun and handy to carry the USB stick. Also DVDs are very unreliable as it has the tendency to loose data even with a single scratch. The MacBook Air is just the first system which dropped the optical drives. And now it time for other newer system to do the same.

I think DVD drives will soon be vanished. I always has a problem with due to my rough handling. Also the are ugly, delicate and too much pain to carry. Also the USB sticks are delicate but not as much ass the DVDs. apple has taken a great step and will only move further with it is what i hope. I never really used too much of DVD drive on my MacBook. I only time did it was to burn CDs for my music system but these days, i use my phone in the car or my music system to listen to music using auxiliary cable or mass storage device support. Its so easy.

OSX on USB would be the best thing apple could ever do. I'm really hoping that the new Macbooks Pros show up without the optical drive. It could help to solve many of the current problems like getting space for a core i5 or even core i7 processor and a dedicated graphics integrated. Also a larger battery can be made for better and long lasting battery. If OS X starts being supplied on USB sticks, it would be great as other things can be downloaded from the apple app store. What you guys thinks!?