Thread: How to exchange data between Linux and Windows 7 over Network?

How to exchange data between Linux and Windows 7 over Network?

I have registered on this forum newly. Actually I was looking for some information about data exchanging between different operating systems over network. I found some questions of another user which was very useful for me. On top of that your description was more simple and in simple language. So I decided to post my doubt over here. Please tell me how can I exchange data between Linux and Windows 7 over Network? I found some articles on this forum but that doesn't explain about data exchange in network. So I have to post differently. I am hoping that I have mentioned clearly about my doubts. Now its your turn to help me by providing some useful information.

Re: How to exchange data between Linux and Windows 7 over Network?

Assuming the local hard disk into the network, one encounters more and more heterogeneous environments where Linux server hard data with the Windows world exchange. Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with this reality will be clear, if it is in the business environment will prevail. The server version of the operating system, there are still four years of support - that is until 2013. It is important that the Samba software has a possible date. For as Windows Vista Beta of Windows 7 also requires a Samba version 3.0.10. Leaving Microsoft's new desktop operating system has a positive impression. The data exchange is working exactly as it should. About the Network button looks to be the appropriate computer and click on it. If the user name and password do not match with the Windows 7 computer, the system prompts the user to use the correct account information. Then you can access your data as usual.

Actually I was trying to do same thing some days back. A small problem occurred but then also in the standard-setting specifies Samba also free printers. This also includes a PDF printer is included. If we combine this with Windows 7, the system complains about a missing driver. Here it suffices to use an appropriate PostScript driver. The Linux remote site uses Ghostscript which creates the PDFs. With Windows 7 on a Samba server to access works. However, we also wanted to know whether a Linux client to a Windows 2008 Server R2 can access. Primarily interests us the simple file sharing. We have created a simple user account and shared folder. In the test, we then quickly realized the limitations. Hope you will not follow the same.

Both Kubuntu 8.10 and Ubuntu 8.10 in bringing the tools KDE or GNOME with it in order to connect to the Windows server. But not both work equally well. 4:10 KDE is reflected in the comparison clearly better. Here you can find via " network - samba shares "the appropriate computer. When you click that comes a password request, and we see that share. This can now work as normal. You can delete files and create folders and so on. Roams to the network with GNOME, you can find the Windows server as well. Double-clicking on it but ends in a blank search screen. The Nautilus file manager will not have a password, yet it displays the release. "Connect to Server" Only the use of the button led to the desired result. First disadvantage is that you need to know how the release states. Second trait: You can create a folder in the release or even a file. Similarly, working "copy - paste" right not with the right mouse button. However, drag with the left mouse click a file in the root folder of the release, the file is created. Saving a file from OpenOffice in the main folder on the share also worked - but only at the second attempt. In KDE, everything worked perfectly.

For older Windows installations, there is the Windows Services for UNIX 3.5 , the other an NFS client provides under. With the release of Windows Vista package was renamed to the Services for Unix. The required NFS software is only available for Business or Ultimate versions. The beta of Windows 7 corresponds to the Ultimate version of the package is so on board. They must, however, enable it. If this is done, you can connect to NFS servers. Open the command line and use the mount command. An aid to mount you get by running the command without any options.
    Code:
    mount [Options] //[Servername or IP-Address]/[Release] [Drive Letter]
    The optional components are also the "Services for UNIX". After installation, you will find an appropriate folder under "All Programs". The download link takes you to the right page on the web. Here you can use the Subsystem for UNIX-based applications (SUA) here. Depending on the architecture of the package 473 to 484.1 MB in size. Currently, Windows 7 is still not in the list of supported operating systems, but it works anyway.

Windows Server 2008 R2 provides a NFS server service. This is disabled by default, however. You must activate the "Services for NFS" at first. However, once you want to access the directory, you could get an input / output error. This is a permission problem. The authorized users and approved group under Linux could have a number 4,294,967,294. If Windows does not have mapping information and UID / GID -2 arrive as, Windows assigns them bizarre authorization number to it. Especially when his own network, is leaving, you should encrypt connections via SSH. From Windows to an OpenSSH server access in the past was not difficult. There are good programs, with the operation of an encrypted data exchange problems. Simple, but clear and functional, the portable SFTP client WinSCP.