Thread: Windows Server 2003 on IBM Blade Server

question Windows Server 2003 on IBM Blade Server

I am new to Windows Server 2003, and am not an IT person, just a software developer.
    I have installed Windows Server 2003 SBS on two blade servers in an HS20 IBM BladeCenter, each as a standalone workgroup, and they dont recognize each other. (During OS installation, it never asked about setting up a domain or workgroup; it just defaulted to workgroup).

During normal operations, I access one of the blades directly, via KVM (keyboard,video,mouse) switch, and need that blade to see the other for a job scheduling program to communicate between them. Would converting to a Domain Controller allow this? If so, how do I convert them to a Domain controller after the fact?

Or is there another way, within a workgroup environment that these blades can see each other?

Note that these blade servers operate in a standalone environment (no outside internet access to them), and they dont need to talk to any other machnes.
    Note also that these blades were running Linux before and were able to communicate. I wiped out the Linux OS and installed Windows Server 2003 SBS.
    Thanks,
    Diane

Re: Windows Server 2003 on IBM Blade Server

You can try configure the network switch modules in IO Bays 1 and 2 usually if you want the blade servers to communicate each other with the help of the network. You can try to create a vlan with ports only of these 2 servers, if you are using switches with L2 functionality. You should just be able to interconnect the cables on the relevant ports if you are using passthrough module.

John Randy Guest

Windows Server 2003 on IBM Blade Server

Boot logging starts the system normally, but it creates a detailed log of all the services and drivers that are trying to load at boot time. This can help you determine what is causing the system to crash. The default location for the log file is C:Windowsntbtlog.txt.
    Last edited by Bindusar.I; 07-02-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: No external links are allowed.

Re: Windows Server 2003 on IBM Blade Server

Thanks guys,
    I'll look at the windowssntbtlog file, but the problem is not one of crashing. Both blade servers boot up and run normally (I can access each via switching the KVM). I just can't get one to see the other. The OS configuration for each indicates "Stand Alone Server", which I assume is the problem. Can I change this after the fact?
    Diane