Thread: MeeGo SDK with NVidia and proprietary graphics drivers

MeeGo SDK with NVidia and proprietary graphics drivers

I just installed the SDK for Meego on my machine which runs Linux. I have Nvidia graphics cards on my system. I installed it as described in the meego SDK wiki. I cannot start OpenGL bassed application in SDK. What might be the problem? Can anyone help me out please? Also some basic applications do start and work without any problem. The problem only occurs with OpenGL based applications like glxgears. I thought the application might be corrupt and so tried playing Meego's OpenGL demos. But still no luck with it. I have a graphics card and still the OpenGL applications dont work. I also have the proprietary graphics drivers installed. Please help guys.

Re: MeeGo SDK with NVidia and proprietary graphics drivers

Well, i'm not too much into linux or meego, but i suspect the proprietary graphics drivers. Is it ubuntu? try to remove the proprietary graphics drivers and check if the sdk runs OpenGL applications with the generic graphics driver? Also check if you have the latest proprietary graphics drivers if the generic drivers dont work. Would suggest you to go through the sdk's compatibility for the list of compatible graphics driver. Also try getting driver for meego simulator and install it inside meego to check if that works.

You could try and build Meego Nvidia drivers that may lets you write OpenGL applications. But from what i know, if you want to develop applications or meego with the current SDK, you will need a machine with an Intel chipset. You can achieve this by shifting to some other machine or remove the graphics card if you have onboard intel graphics. Nvidia or Ati is not currently supported by the meego SDK. But still, meego is based on linux, you can try to patch the drivers that are available for linux OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandra View Post
    You could try and build Meego Nvidia drivers that may lets you write OpenGL applications. But from what i know, if you want to develop applications or meego with the current SDK, you will need a machine with an Intel chipset. You can achieve this by shifting to some other machine or remove the graphics card if you have onboard intel graphics. Nvidia or Ati is not currently supported by the meego SDK. But still, meego is based on linux, you can try to patch the drivers that are available for linux OS.
    Well i dont think you need intel only chipset. I have Ati chipset and it works all great. I didn't make any changes in the sdk nor in meego. I have proprietary drivers installed for my Ati card and all works great. Its not the graphics card. I would really suggest you to go through the process of sdk installation. You can try to reinstall the sdk or even download it again and install. your files might have been corrupt. But its not the graphics issue for sure and its not intel only stuff too else my sdk shouldn't work opengl applications as well. Do post back what happens.

MeeGo is a Linux variant which is open source and is designed for mobile operating system projects. Primarily it is targeted at mobile devices and information appliances on portable devices. MeeGo is crafted to act as an operating system for light hardware platforms such as netbooks, nettops, entry-level desktops, mobile computing, communications devices, tablet and pocket pcs, in-vehicle infotainment devices such as GPS systems, IPTV-boxes, smart phones, and many other embedded machines. MeeGo is today hosted by the Linux Foundation. Also the major problem and technical difficulty arised with Meego as is has support for limited hardware options currently. Only Atom processors are supported and no Nvidia support for more powerful chips like Tegra 2 This is sad. Meego is not built as a general purpose embedded computing distro like Ubuntu Netbook Editions which support a lot of hardware devices...

You are right, the hardware support is currently limited for Meego. But the graphics card's drivers are not supported as i have read. Only default intel drivers works. Also if you have any idea try compiling the drivers from the nivida by applying some pacth. I have no idea on how to do it. Also debian haa a package called nvidia-glx which on installing provides full support for nvidia cards with or without proprietary nvidia driver.