Thread: Windows 7: Unable to run regedit after modifying registry

Windows 7: Unable to run regedit after modifying registry

I am having a brand new HP pavilion laptop and running windows 7 64 bit. Since I have a lot of disc corruption trouble so I wanted to partition my drive to separate the Operating System from the data plus programs to make backups, as well as a probable restore, a bit more convenient. I formed a repair disc as well as a system image to DVDs. At what time I started the machine yesterday, the trouble happen at what time I made a few registries edits. I altered ProgramFilesDir as well as ProgramW6432Dir entries. On the other hand now when I attempt and run regedit a window pops up which states that: Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows->regedit.exe'. I did not recognize what changes I have done so that I can re-change them. Can anyone tell me any idea how to perform this or how to get rid of this issue.

Re: Windows 7: Unable to run regedit after modifying registry

I will recommend you to restore your registry files manually to a previous point by following the steps mentioned below:
    1. Reboot the system and Keep tapping F8.
    2. You will be presented a menu, you are suppose to Select Repair from the menu.
    3. Log on using administrator account and run command prompt.
    4. Discover the accurate drive letter used for your Windows installation. It can be a drive except C: You do it by typing the commands
    dir C:\Win*
    dir D:\Win*
    dir E:\Win*
    until you find the Windows folder.
    5. After that type the below commands:
    Q:\windows\System32\config
    xcopy *.* Q:\RegBack\
    dir
    6. Examine the files produced previous to or after your trouble became visible?
    7. If those are made before the trouble become visible in that case you can type below commands (two dots are part of command):
    copy /y software..
    copy /y System ..
    8. Reboot normally.

Thanks for your suggestion. Unluckily it states that no restore points have been produced on the PC, possibly this is because of the partition as you mentioned. Any further things that I can attempt previous to performing a system image recovery? I formed the system image prior to partitioning. Should I attempt as well as take out the produced partitions before recovery?

I also exactly did the same thing on my brand new windows 7 64 bit computer. As per your suggestion I have performed the registry edits as well as receiving the similar error message. I observed on the new drive (where I required the software installs to go) there were no folders known as Program Files or else Program files x86. As a result I just copy/paste the two folders Program Files and Program Files x86 from my C: Drive to the new drive. The whole thing worked as desired.

I do not believe that your incapability to construct the System Partition under 50% of the disk size is because of the MFT location. In my knowledge it is because of the local Windows 7 partition resizing tool being very essential. Other division managers have no such trouble. Third-party division managers seems to cause troubles with Windows 7 .The troubles often surface at what time booting into Repair Mode or at what time using System Restore points. Every now and then System Restore points will vanish on each reboot thus of having used a partition manager.