Thread: How to manually extract single files from file backup

How to manually extract single files from file backup

I need to extract single file from my windows backup file without unpacking the entire backup. I have been suggested that such a program exists, however I do not know the name of it or where to get it. I am also having problem by means of the Restore Files wizard to access files from my backup. Is there a means that I am able to manually extract files from the backup? If anybody has a useful suggestion short of installing a second hard drive and unpacking it therein please let me know.

Re: How to manually extract single files from file backup

Below is the procedure to manually extract files which are larger than 200 MBs. When the file is larger than 200 MB it will be split in multiple zip files and you will require extracting as well as after that merge:
    1. First of all open the location where your backup is saved.
    2. After that find a file which contains the zip files which you desire to extract. Such as, if you are attempting to take out a video file named BirthdayParty, you will get the zip files which contain files by that name.
    3. Now make a folder where you want to extract the files.
    1. After that extract the first file into the folder that you have created and after that rename the file.
    4. Do again this step until you have extracted each and every one of the files, making certain that you name them likewise
    5. Go to start menu and type command prompt in search box and after that in the results click on command prompt.
    6. Type: copy /b filename*.file_extension new_filename.file_extension and press enter.

At what time you make a backup by means of Windows Backup, you are should to make use of the Restore Files wizard to restore the files. If you cannot use the Restore Files wizard (such as, at what time you are making use of a PC which is not running Windows Vista or Windows 7), you can try the above suggestion to manually extract files from a backup file.And let me know the result whether you have successfully recovered the file or not.

Today I receive my laptop from the Repairer and he had installed windows as well as gives me a somewhat dissimilar user name if that makes any difference. After this I can extract the general files which I have backed up however not the User Account ones (even though I can make out that they are present in Windows restore). When I try this I get an error message which states that ‘The media inside the drive is not the requested media. On the other hand I am making use of the disk I used to make the backup with no problem, which shows to have these details. Can you assist please?

Thank you for your valuable suggestion. After searching on the Internet for this trouble, I come across to these thread. I just followed the above mentioned steps and really it was such an simple step that I did not even recognize I could attempt before. I do not believe that I have manually extract files from backup. After trying these method I got my files back and hope that this will be helpful to someone else having the same issue.